Zanzibar Stone Town


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar
November 13th 2008
Published: January 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Snake park & drove all day east towards Dar Es Salaam, we camped at a remote site about 40 miles from the city. We had dinner & ended up playing drinking games for most of the night.

We decamped early next morning & headed into Dar Es Salaam, then, drove to the Silver Sands hotel on the coast. We set up camp near the beach, & went for a swim in the Indian Ocean, the water was unusually warm & not very refreshing. Lucky cooked his last dinner for us, (he was not going to Zanzibar with us)
We lit a fire on the beach & drank beers for the night. The tent was like a sauna so we moved it so that the window flap would face the cool ocean breeze & it worked a treat.

The following day we had an hour to spare before we got the Zanzibar, & I managed to book a flight from Zanzibar to Nairobi, instead of returning on the ferry & then getting the bus. This gave me 2 extra days to go back & see the Massai Mara. I learned that Zanzibar is the general name for a large group of island th e largest being two are Pemba & Unguja. We were heading to the biggest Unjuga. The high speed catamaran left at 9.30am & took 2 hours to arrive at Stone Town. It was a short walk to the Safari Hotel. We did the excellent spice tour & had lunch at a local house.
We visited the old Slave Market & the Cathedral & passed the house were Freddy Mercury was born. That night we ate dinner from the local night markets & went to a local disco where everyone was smoking dope.

Everybody was tired the next day so nobody did the optional excursions, we all did our own thing around town. At 1pm we left early for the Sunset Bungalows in the north of the island. The alpha males were late so we left without them, it cost them $50 dollars for a taxi. Dave, Lawrence & myself got an aircon cottage close to the beach. We walked along the beach, fringed with white sands & coconut palms, it was perfect.
We spent the rest of the day swimming & hangin on the beach. The water was cool clean & very refreshing. Later we went to the beach side restaurants for a delicious seafood dinner & coctails.

Next morning we hired a dhow & went snorkelling off the Mnemba atoll for the day, this included an exquisite tuna bbq on the beach. The corals & fish we saw were amazing. One of the girls got badly stung by Blue Bottle Jelly fish. On the way back the captain turned off the outboard motor & we used sail power all the way back. This for me was the best days of the trip. I had dinner wirh Pierre, Michael & Sarah that night the rest were at a drinking party, they were taking ephedrine also, so we gave it miss.

I hired a small catamaran with lessons for 2 hours the next day. In the afternoon I hired a speed boat for an hour. I blew past the alphas on their booze cruise, I had had enough the company. We went to dinner in small groups & returned to the our hotel when they produced a dj. We were all there & as it was my last night I tried every cocktail on the menu.

The following morning was my last with the guys,I said my goodbyes & they left for the ferry, I got the hotel bus to Stone Town & then a taxi to the airport which was the smallest I have ever seen. The flight passed Mt kilimanjaro & only took one hour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Stone TownStone Town
Stone Town

Lunch at a local house
Ali T not GAli T not G
Ali T not G

Our spice tour guide
Stone Town Stone Town
Stone Town

Door detail
182182
182

Boarding the dhow after lunch on the beach.


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb