DAY 6 - Building the Pasteurizer Has Begun - 2008


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » West
January 8th 2008
Published: January 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Ann Plans the DayAnn Plans the DayAnn Plans the Day

Engineering: Not for Spectators
Tuesday, January 8, 2008. I am a little concerned about the day- slight tension among the students. Maybe when the project gets underway that will be lifted. Breakfast at 6:30am and George arrived at 7. We needed a shovel and some paint so after we picked up Vincent, we stopped in a town along the way to Bweranyange for supplies.

At Bweranyange a local worker - I did not catch his name - staked out the site for the pasteurizer. Ann was insistant that each person have a job and mine was helping with the frame. I was reminded of my dad's meticulous nature with his carpentry and how he and his friends built our home. I knew the names of all the tools, and felt good about starting a baseline task list so that our next build would be more organized.

The foundation for the pasteurizer was larger than I originally thought. The team hired two masons and one 'helper'. We painted with some weak paint and built frames That we put inside during the rain. Ann was energized by teaching some young female students about the pasteurizers so I took her photo. The engineers talked of the
Staking Out the Project SiteStaking Out the Project SiteStaking Out the Project Site

Local laborers show us how
importance of hiring local workers, using local materials and building a pasteurizer that would be easy to maintain. I am not sure about the sustainability nor the quality of the local materials, but the local labor is firmly in place. Vincent asked if the men could be paid on a daily basis and asked us to ask the bishop. We asked George is this were ok and he said 'yes'. When the bishop arrived at the site with his family, we asked him about the payments and he said he would talk with us tomorrow about it. We were introduced to his beautiful wife, Frida and his lovely daughters, Vision and Mission. We took pictures and marveled at the names.

The ride back to Kayanga was beautiful. Cows blocked the road and we named it a "Cow Jam". George was driving but laughed hard at that. I had leaned out the back side window of the truck to take a photo when Tom urged me to look behind at the cow. One horn brushed my elbow just as I turned and I laughed. Got back to Kayanga, washed the dirt off of ourselves, and had dinner. The students like going across the street to the bar but I haven't gone with them. The bar begins blasting its music in the early morning and turns it off about 10:30 or 11:00 at night. Not a quiet place - this Kayanga.

****************

Take me to the Educate Tanzania website.

http://educatetanzania.org


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Huddle LearningHuddle Learning
Huddle Learning

Ann shares how the pasteurizer works
Ann and Her ClassAnn and Her Class
Ann and Her Class

Following the Lesson on Solar Pasteurizers


Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb