KARAGWE 2016: ETI/KAD Summit


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North
January 27th 2016
Published: January 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Great Summit 2016.

Each year ETI and KAD meet to renew partnerships and get progress updates. KAD invited a Swedish team this year so Magnus and Per Ove (specialists in rural agriculture) joined us.

Highlights:
- Water harvesting system is inspected and fully operational. To date 280,000 liters have been collected. February rains bring hope for more.

- Borehole was named 'The Miracle'. Pump and flowing water are still amazing to most. While capacity and water quality are generally known, the well cannot supply KARUCO on its own. There are plans to dig 4 more.

- Lots of construction going on. New women's dorm being finished and men's dorm started. Labs being outfitted with sinks and equipment. Dining hall and Auditorium proposals out, Adjacent school is offering staff housing. Germany is funding 50 computers.

- 40 applications for faculty are on file with 20 of those being quite positive. Plans to hire first 3 people in place with a move from current offices to the KARUCO site. KARUCO Coordinator, Community Engagement Agricultural Coordinator and Project Coordinator.

- Student recruitment is handled by Tanzanian Ministry of Education. Plans to dovetail a separate system to choose is
Dr Chris JohnstoneDr Chris JohnstoneDr Chris Johnstone

Reports on Data Collection
in the works.

- Support from government, ELCT and Tumaini constituent colleges is very positive.

- Many other things were addressed and not listed here. Books, food, staff, landscaping, furniture and more. Of course long term funding was also discussed.

- KARUCO will begin offering its Agricultural Seminars to local farmers, focused on technology and methods.

The approval and permissions process is not complete so KARUCO is not officially opening in October as planned. However, farmer seminars (non-degree but part of KARUCO curriculum) will be operational. When the approval process is complete, KAD will announce the official opening of KARUCO - 2017.

The Summit closed with a prayer by the Bishop thanking God for all He has done and promises to do.











Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb