Where have all the good people gone?!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
July 17th 2006
Published: July 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I haven't got a clue what day of the week it is but after getting over the trauma of the dead flamingoes, we drove back to Nairobi about a week ago. We waved off the lovely people we'd been travelling with for the last four weeks, and picked up a bunch of.... Where do I start?

Barry, an Australian - think Steve Irwin aged 60. I am now deaf in my right ear from sitting three - yes THREE - seats away from him.

Canadian bird who worked for a month in a rural village in Kenya (now knows everything about Africa) recommended we discard chopping boards and cut vegetables in our hands because that's what she did in the village. At the time, we were trying to prepare lunch for 38 people in a lay-by, hallucinating from the diesel fumes of passing trucks that we were also tring to avoid being crushed by, so needless to say her advice didn't go down too well and I wanted to whack her over the head with said chopping board. The 'knives' are actually small machetes which wouldn't pass for a kitchen knife in the UK, more like an offensive weapon and I have already nearly lost a finger twice since the trip started.

The old crowd (9 of us, 8 from Australia and me the Daz White - yes still no tan - pom) are sticking together more than ever now and live in hope that the newbies may have been dragged off in the middle of the night by lions.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb