Flamingoes!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
July 8th 2006
Published: July 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello, just back from two days in Lake Nakuru. Saw cheeky monkeys with strange blue furry balls, who tried to steal our lunch and attack people in our group - both things made for great photos - even the babies are vicious, glad I invested in a rabies jab. From a distance the millions of flamingoes on the lake looks like a fantastic sea of pink - much prettier from a distance, up close (after a walk across 500 metres of solidified bird poo) you have to keep your eyes on the ground constantly to avoid walking on carcasses of dead dismembered flamingoes and the whole place stinks of rotting fish.

We went for a game drive and saw buffalo and rhino, they are the strangest looking creature up close - they are almost totally blind so are oblivious to the trucks full of tourists so they come up pretty close! Have now seen four out of the Big Five, so just waiting on some lazy leopards to show their faces. No chance of seeing any today, we are back in Nairobi and 9 of us are off to get a $4 pedicure after three weeks walking through dust - who says you can't rough it and still look good!!?

We camped out for the first time the night before last in a bush camp - usually we are in campsites - but this time there was no running water or electricity and we literally just parked up in the middle of nowhere. Our driver had to walk around most of the evening with a machete and sling shot to keep the baboons away - they are enormous, much bigger than you'd think and totally fearless so they came up really close and scared the sh*t out of us screeching outside our tents in the middle of the night. A buffalo had fallen down a ravine just by where we were staying so we were freaking out that it'd attract lions and hyenas, but it wasn't bleeding so we were ok but the poor thing was still alive and barely breathing the next morning when we went to have a look so that'll be a long slow death for him.... We have seen so many beautiful sights but so many minging dead things too, Africa is not for the faint hearted!!

We finished our bush camping evening with lethal punch made by our women's rugby playing meat head tour leader out of wine, vodka, gin, whisky and beer, and my tent mate spent the whole night vomiting out of the tent - nice.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb