Tanzania Day 3


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
July 2nd 2011
Published: July 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

hipp1hipp1hipp1

See my teeth!
Today was moving day to the center of Serengeti NP. Have left the tented camp and moved to Serengeti Serena. It is still an open lodge, animals come and go, but you are in an actual building. The CS here also carry weapons. Sleeping rooms are a round hut design. Each one has two rooms. I'm on the second floor. Should get a good night's sleep. Last night was a little better because I knew what to expect. Both Mr. B and Lyons made a return visit. The lyons were closer last night than the night before. Before I left this morning CS took me down the slope aways to find Mr. B and get his photo.

Today, hippos were added to the list. Much easier to find since they only spend the day in water. The value of a private trip was reinforced today when other groups came and went from the hippo pools and I spent an hour and 45 minutes getting the photos I wanted. Saw just the head, no photo, of a cheetah--moving to fast in tall grass. Saw the body of a leopard, head hidden by branches, and its kill in a tree. Saw more
gazelle3gazelle3gazelle3

Cheetah Snack!
and more of the "Meals on Legs" and a large group of Elephants spread out in line about a mile long.

What people would find surprising is how far you can travel and not see any wildlife. Serengeti NP is 5,600 square miles and that is just part of the overall Serengeti. Yellowstone is 3,472 square miles. Most animals are always on the moved. Here today some place else tomorrow. Today after lunch we drove about 25 minutes and saw only three warthog. Just rolling plains of nothing. Then you come to the next ridge and in the valley below you find everything under the sun.

I have just come from dinner escorted by an armed guard. If you want to loose weight a safari is not how to do it. These lodges are geared to pamper people. High quality foods and lots of it. Also, if you don't eat a lot they ask if you are okay. Coke is king here. Have not seen a Pepsi sign since leaving Amsterday. For those of you old enough to remember it is glass bottles and cans with the old style pull ring and tab.

Tomorrow is another
central3central3central3

Serengeti NP Central Plain
6 a.m. start with the hopes of finding and seeing complete cats. Also, still looking for adult male lyon. Saw more ladies today.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb