Ngorongoro a Go Go


Advertisement
Published: September 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Springtime NgorongoroSpringtime NgorongoroSpringtime Ngorongoro

Lovely yellow and purple flowers carpet the crater basin.
Spring rains have triggered a greenish hue over the scorched landscape and almost overnight, roadside clumps of morning glory are abloom. We pass by colourful Masai men herding their precious livestock across the empty savannah. Every so often a village materializes from nowhere and hundreds of plaid cloaked warriors congregate for a roadside flea market. Although alluring, we don’t stop.

Our overland truck has become a cesspool of filth. Wrappers and containers tumble up and down the aisle, thick red muddy earth is tracked about, forgotten laundry sways to and fro, and something sticky is all over the windows. A tsunami of brackish water from the leaky cooler runs down the middle every time our driver breaks for a stray cow. No one cares. We have become this weird dysfunctional family who bicker lively but accept all imperfections of one another, bonding over sips of stoney tangawizi and biltong.

As we approach the border, we are stopped twice by police looking for bribes. Captain Orange gets to work, dousing himself in cologne and using his flirty charms to win over the robust policewoman sheltering from the sun on a flimsy plastic chair while our camp cook Animal and driver
Bewildered WildebeestBewildered WildebeestBewildered Wildebeest

This lone guy seemed to be wondering where the other 1,000,000 went.
Karaoke distract her skinny flunky with jokes and a fake engine problem.

Thankfully, the crossing into Tanzania is no less entertaining. Once again, we were kicked off the truck and forced to walk to the immigration offices, which meant tip toeing over a ditch of sewage and navigating through a herd of aggressive goats eating garbage. While one of the Australians is hauled away by the Tanzanian border health authorities for a yellow fever jab, we wait in the sweltering heat. The Masai Mara women swarm us like flies waving their trinkets, forcing a hasty retreat to the truck which has become a mobile sauna.

As it turns out, the Canadian is a professional barterer. She accredits it from her years in Mexico and fearlessly wades into a crowd of hawkers with cash in hand, returning with deals we cannot believe. Some of us got smart and actually hired her to do our bargaining for us. This is brilliant. We yell from the safety of the overland truck and she yells back what she has coerced them down to. Truly this woman has a gift. She got me a beautiful tablecloth and bingy-bangely jewellery for about a ¼
Get a RoomGet a RoomGet a Room

Kinda awkward but impossible to avoid, as they decided to mate around our jeep
of what I could negotiate. And, like I did in Uganda, I took the other ¾ of what I ‘would have’ paid and donated it to a reputable charity for street children.

I like how Tanzania is pronounced Tan-zane-ee-ah here, it sounds exotic. Arusha however, is not. I disliked the vibe of this city straight away. Friends of mine taught English here years ago and enthusiastically boasted about it, they were obviously delusional. This place is a nightmare. Not only is it filthy, but excessively noisy as touts shout from their crammed microbuses for customers as a mishmash of locals lurking about. Any sign of progressive infrastructure has been decimated into rubble. Snobby blonde Afrikaners in safari gear driving expensive land rovers, roll dismissively by the severe poverty. Instead of being waved at frantically by children, we get the finger.

Nothing really intimidates me though so I strike out on my own and quickly get a stern warning from a passing businessman to put my camera away. Ok. Roger that. Street teens are everywhere hawking tacky paintings and I decide to hire one to accompany me, on what ended up being an eight store odyssey, to find much
Riding DirtyRiding DirtyRiding Dirty

Sexy boys Captain Orange and Samson entertain us in the crater
needed pharmaceuticals.

My new friend Ally expertly navigates me through the endless harassment of shady characters, including a male roadside pedicurist who insists my toenails need his immediate care. Ally knows some English and wants to practice on me, he hopes to one day be a tour guide. For his troubles we chill in the shade of a jacaranda tree, I buy him a goat pasty with cold drink and we talk about his life and mine. Ally gives me one of his painting renditions of Kilimanjaro at sunrise as a parting gift.

On the upside, one pleasurable bi product of an ex-pat tourism zone is the guarantee of a trendy café and strip mall somewhere nearby. The Portugoose, Australians and I are thrilled by this prospect. After about a month of eating Animal’s traditional African food we are all craving urban nosh. Soaking up the late afternoon sunshine cafe al fresco like we are in Paris, we gorge on lattes, chicken wraps, gelato, mixed greens salad, crispy gorgonzola paninis and rustic pizzas. At one point, Animal shuffles by and eyes up my curry mango chicken salad with balsamic reduction and gives it a snubby disapproval.

After
Cabochick meets the CraterCabochick meets the CraterCabochick meets the Crater

A beautiful wonder, the extinct crater of Ngorongoro houses many beasts.
our quick provision stopover, we head for the outskirts of a little village called Mto Wa Mbu, and of course I have to ask what that translates into. Captain Orange shrugs and nonchalantly states, Mosquito creek.

Oh. Dread.

In a panic I overdose myself with bug repellent. Our campsite is an odd but comfortable compound surrounded by lush jungle and singing frogs. It rains off and on, making it stifling hot. Once I get my tent up and belongings sorted, I find an Australian on a slider swing and join him, we drink ciders and glide the night away telling stories while everyone else came and went around us. We were also treated to a spontaneous show of traditional dance, the troop hired by a fellow camper, much to our delight.

In the morning, Captain Orange arranges for some young men, aspiring tour guides, to show us around the village, allowing us a snapshot of their daily life. Each household of women and small children greet us hospitality warm and offer up grainy banana brew in large plastic mugs. The men, I assume, are off somewhere practicing the fine art of “planning.” We meet refugee artisans from
Ostrich olympicsOstrich olympicsOstrich olympics

Didn't have to chase these ones around like the Serengeti, they posed for pictures.
Mozambique and Burundi that happily demonstrate how they make their wares before we are led off to be fed a gigantic feast by a local co-op of women entrepreneurs. They proudly serve us vegetable dishes containing okra, eggplant, beans, potatoes, brown rice and cabbage. It was all delicious and cultural interaction is by far my favourite travel activity, but I’m getting antsy, I want to go to Ngorongoro.

The next day, I get my wish. We head out through the diverse lush microclimate via lake Manyara, I see my first baobab tree and beg Karaoke to stop so I can get a picture. Everyone moans.

At the Ngorongoro Conservation Area entrance our skilled kamikaze jeep driver Samson meets us and navigates the steep ruddish roads that teeter along the rim before we descend into the belly of the crater.

Pictures can’t possibly capture this moment. There are no words.

Well actually, maybe there are. Carpets of yellow and purple flowers go as far as the eye can see. A perpetual mist swirls like a caldron of soup before an intense sun burns it off to reveal that brilliant blue African sky.

It wasn’t just nice,
Paris or Arusha?Paris or Arusha?Paris or Arusha?

A little normalcy in a chaotic place
it was Australian niiiiice!

Right off the mark, we spot elephants, zebras, ostrich, wildebeest, hippos, lions, gazelles, impalas, hartebeest, hyena, warthogs, and buffalo. Ngorongoro Crater is one of the largest inactive calderas still not flooded. With a diameter of almost twenty kilometres, it’s like its own ecodome. Our group ham it up for photos and enjoy the 4x4ing antics of Samson before we come across two impressive lions hanging out on the roadway, we can't get around them. The rest of their pride is sitting off by a creek watching. It doesn't take long to figure out what these two are up to.

Frantic mating commences. Awkward.

They mate in front of our jeep, side of our jeep, under our jeep. Then they take periodic rests in the only shade which is our jeep. We can't go anywhere. Samson tells us we will know when the male finally gets it right, because the female will roll over on her back, satisfied. It took him 15 tries, but he finally got it right. While we wait, we make fun of his performance, as you do, when forced to watch continuous copulation. The male, exhausted yet proud, struts over,
Mzungus in the neighbourhoodMzungus in the neighbourhoodMzungus in the neighbourhood

Lots of stares as we wandered through the village near our campsite.
lifts his tail and squirts our jeep.

Our picnic spot is a beautiful viewpoint called Ngoitokitok near a lake full of hippos. Here we can get out of the vehicle and stretch. Because the crater is a microclimate of its own, the weather changes every few minutes, from blistering hot, to rainy, to howling winds that whip up gigantic dust devils that try to steal your hat. Yet, I stand in the absolute centre of this caldera and marvel at how eerily silent it is. It’s like we are the only ones out here.

Then, just like that, we are inundated by jeeploads of upscale tourists coming for the facilities. I wasn’t sure what was more entertaining, observing various animals in their natural habitat, or, watching older socialites wearing Out of Africa khaki olive with flowing white scarves nervously adjusting their wide brimmed hats as they gingerly step over piles of droppings on a quest to find a flushing toilet.

Armchair travelers always ask me why I bother traveling when I can just watch it from home in high definition. This is why.

Back out again, we bump along the salty shallows towards a pink wave
Zebra stripesZebra stripesZebra stripes

Fascinating to see the intricate pattern of a Zebra up close. He seemed to be posing.
of flamingos when Samson suddenly catches sight of an allusive cheetah stalking up on something far off in the distance. As we try to get closer, she hits mach five and disappears over the horizon in a cloud of dust. We concede.

Our Ngorongoro experience ends back at our new campsite in the village of Karatu. Our whole group chatters excitably over such a fantastic day while we erect tents and prepare dinner. Some bikers from Belgium join us and we commandeer a fancy lodge next door that has cozy overstuffed sofas and a bored bartender who freshens your drink mid sip.

Tomorrow we head east towards the city of Moshi where we will be volunteering at a local street children home, before we make our way to Kilimanjaro.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

The Bull stands aloneThe Bull stands alone
The Bull stands alone

Many animals are trapped in this steep crater happily oblivious.
Masai walks aloneMasai walks alone
Masai walks alone

Herder makes his way along the muddy roads
Friendly Mozambique transplantsFriendly Mozambique transplants
Friendly Mozambique transplants

DPO's from Mozambique now carve and live in Tanzania
Driving on Carpets of flowersDriving on Carpets of flowers
Driving on Carpets of flowers

The intense colours of the springtime were impossible to capture with my camera.
Arusha traffic jamArusha traffic jam
Arusha traffic jam

Chaos at its finest as the Arusha natives try to get from point a to b
Talented recreationTalented recreation
Talented recreation

done on mass production, this artists copy a painting for resale in Arusha
Sticks and StonesSticks and Stones
Sticks and Stones

Create a foundation for the mud huts.
Mzungu alertMzungu alert
Mzungu alert

children under 3 were the most taken by us white people walking through their village
On the Edge of no ReturnOn the Edge of no Return
On the Edge of no Return

The rim of the Ngorongoro crater is stunning
Giraffes can climbGiraffes can climb
Giraffes can climb

These guys were hanging out on the edge of the crater rim, keeping the trees trimmed
Happy in Mosquito creekHappy in Mosquito creek
Happy in Mosquito creek

These little guys followed us around in the village.
Hippo HeavenHippo Heaven
Hippo Heaven

Hopefully the waters will always stay in the basin or these guys will be SOL.


21st September 2014

Memories .....
Loved your blog on the Ngorongoro. Brought back a lot of memories of our safaris through Kenya and Tanzania a few years ago. The wildlife of Africa certainly spoil you for any zoo in the world. We visited the crater at the end of the dry season and can remember the many "dust devils" we saw, spiralling their way skywards. Some of them, great massive things! We get them in outback Australia too, during our hot, dry summers (but, call them "willy-willies") I can also remember never having felt so filthy dirty and dusty in my entire life. We were smothered in it. However, our group in our safari vehicle, were all in the same boat, so to speak but, what a great time we had! The wildlife experience more than made up for it. And, ultimately, the dirt washed off! But, I have to say, that next shower never felt so good! :) Jan
21st September 2014

Excellent!
Thanks for the compliments, glad I could take you down memory lane. Ngorongoro was absolutely amazing. I was so blown away - not just by dust devils. lol
21st September 2014

Bustard maybe?
Love the picture of satisfied lions. I think the bird might actually be called a bustard, not a bastard, though.
21st September 2014

The Bastard!
Yes you are right. We finally consulted a field guide and indeed it was a Bustard, but we had fun bugging Samson nonetheless.
21st September 2014
The Bull stands alone

Magical mystery tour
What a magical journey! I love the bonding of your group amidst the chaos of your truck, and that you have someone willing to bargain for you, something I still dislike despite years in Latin America. How lovely to have a veggie feast/cultural experience with a cooperative of tribal women and Western treats. Driving over miles of spring flowers, only to find a myriad of animals and those bizarre upscale tourists--priceless! I never thought a tour could be this good!
21st September 2014
The Bull stands alone

I was on my own Taracloud!
So priceless and magical, you are right! I really couldn't believe I was there and how stunning it was.
21st September 2014
Mzungus in the neighbourhood

Mzungus
A beautiful pic Andrea that captures those frequent moments in an African trip when the tourists are the centre of attention and attract locals like bees to honey. Interesting observations of Arusha, Mto Wa Mbu and Ngorongoro that provide so many different experiences for everyone. I reckon your explanation of meeting Maasai women vendors was somewhat understated. They rate as the most fervent, aggressive and exhausting touts we have ever encountered.
22nd September 2014
Mzungus in the neighbourhood

I agree Dave, I went to Arusha with a full heart and was oddly disappointed...I'm not sure the year you were there, but things have gone south. Thankful the surrounding villages are intact and worthy of meeting locals. That is the true backbone of travel, except for those Maasi salesgirls, holy moly they are brutal and relentless!
21st September 2014
Masai walks alone

FOLLOW THAT ROAD
Ah...brings back those wonderful images of Maasai going about their daily business...this one somewhat less traditional in shorts!
22nd September 2014
Masai walks alone

I saw lots with interesting, trendy renditions to their plaid dress....but they still carry out their traditional ways nonetheless. We decided to leave them be.
22nd September 2014
Get a Room

Frantic mating commenses.
15 tries....I guess some males are slow learners. :) The silence of the caldera sounds perfect. I'm trying to imagine the serenity of it all. I could have been of used to you on this trip as I'm very good when bargaining. In Morocco a gentleman told me I bargain like a Berber and in Australia my friend wanted some jewelry in a store and I bargained so hard for her she walked away. She was embarrassed by my tenacity. That is sad because she would have looked great in those earrings. And.....yes....these stories explain to the world why we travel.
22nd September 2014
Get a Room

Sex show
Very awkward viewing, but fun! I was trying to find the photo of the old girl on her back with her legs up in the air, must have deleted. Oh, and why didn't you tell me you were an expert at bartering!?! Will have to take you along next time. lol I cringe at it...on of my least favourite things about travel.
22nd September 2014
Too close for comfort

Experience life to the fullest
Just another chapter in the Andrea adventure.
22nd September 2014

Beautiful
How wonderful, I can just imagine the thrill...I saw a koala and was beside myself, so would barely be able to contain myself with all these wonders!
22nd September 2014

Oh, then, you would lose your nut in Africa Rachael! We were tripping over animals everywhere I went. So amazing.
22nd September 2014
Cabochick meets the Crater

Beautiful!
Now here's a FB cover pic if I ever saw one! :)
22nd September 2014
Cabochick meets the Crater

Take my breath away
Thanks Ren. I can't even describe the feeling standing on the edge of the crater looking in. It was so......
22nd September 2014

I can't take this anymore.
You have to stop writing these awesome blogs - I'm serious! But I did love your story about Ally, and I hope that encounter gave him some insight into the human side of tourists.
22nd September 2014

Ha, ok, no more then. But I do have a few doozies to tell about Zanzibar....not sure if I can keep it to myself.
22nd September 2014
Get a Room

Caught in the act...
What an incredible shot! 15 tries??? You can give it to the guy that he was definitely persistant! ;-) Fantastic blog and sounds like you had a really great adventure. Ah... One for the bucket list for sure... Absolutely love your writing style, so keep them coming! Can't wait to read about Kilimanjaro...

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 17; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb