Tanzania


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
September 18th 2012
Published: December 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday
18 September

The problem with doing so much, being tired and no longer disciplined with my writing means I'm forgetting stuff. Grr.

Suse met us after the ferry from Zanzibar and we headed straight towards Arusha, camping en route in a great campsite with a tiny sign. I meant to talk to them 'bout that.

We stopped in Arusha, mentally spent money on some fabulous dust collectors at the Cultural Heritage Centre (the guys are great and let us hold ridiculously expensive Tanzanite and explained the different properties. Embarrassing when your nails are so filthy) and then drove to Meserani where we would finally meet the infamous Ma and BJ before seeing the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater at long last.

Meserani Snake Park
Ma and BJ built Snake Park from the ground up in 1993 and the photo album shows how desolate the area was at that time. The town grew around them and after one overland truck stayed, they renovated the bar, set aside a camping area and the rest is history.
They do a phenomenal amount for the local community and have built a Masaai museum for the local tribes to conduct tours about their culture, the snake park which also houses rescued baboons and birds as well as snakes, a workshop for the overland trucks where they also teach locals how to fix them and a free for all clinic. Treating snake bites, spider bites, burns, split heads (the wooden Masaai club can inflict serious damage) among other things, BJ has two locally trained nurses who are just amazing; I couldn't say enough good things about them. We donated clothes, mozzie nets and antibiotics that we didn't need (and/or can afford to buy again if necessary) and left feeling very humbled.

Serengeti 19 Sept
At long last, I've made it to the Serengeti. I'm going to add photos and will write decent captions for once.

Ngorongoro Crater 20 Sept
I actually preferred the Crater to the Serengeti but probably only because of The Lion Incident.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

A surprise findA surprise find
A surprise find

Not sure what kind of lizard but it was stunning colours
Dozing leopardDozing leopard
Dozing leopard

It's hard to see but in the top left of the photo you can see the impala that was killed earlier
Protective mumProtective mum
Protective mum

Agitating the water around her, this mother hippo was keeping a close eye on us
Hear me roarHear me roar
Hear me roar

Unfortunately I chopped her jaw off but I hadn't been expecting her to do it.
Early morning strollEarly morning stroll
Early morning stroll

This lioness made no attempt to go after the antelope but they were obviously wary all the same
Mother and calfMother and calf
Mother and calf

The mother only has one tusk and was quite content to let her calf explore, though he trundled after her if she moved too far for his liking...


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb