Day 2 of the Arusha Campaign 2008


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
June 18th 2008
Published: June 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The group from Hoover, ALThe group from Hoover, ALThe group from Hoover, AL

Here with Chuck Webster for their first trip to Tanzania

Day 2 of the Arusha & Mtu wa Mbu Campaigns 2008



Mark 16:15
He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.

Romans 10:15
And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"



Thank you for your part in helping these Christians to be here working for the cause of Christ! In any way shape or form, you have contributed to our family being here or any of the others listed below, you are also a part of this great work here in Tanzania! And we thank you so much!

Those working in Arusha:
The Staffords, The Bakers, The Gees, The Richardsons, The Jensens, The Samfords and the local Tanzanian brethren

Our Guest Campaigners in Arusha: Lydia Purdom, The KW Group: Robert Russell, and his daughter Jolee, Brittany Anderson, Lesley Brumfield, Janna, Sara Lewis, Sarah Capley & The Freed Group: Ralph Gilmore and his daughter Rose, Brigette, Kimberly, Lauren, Laura, & Clint

Preaching the Arusha Meeting: Ralph Gilmore

Mark 1:38
Jesus replied, "Let us go somewhere else—to the nearby

Fred & Penny CablerFred & Penny CablerFred & Penny Cabler

Here working with the campaigns... Looking into one day doing foreign missions themselves.
villages—so I can preach there also. That is why I have come."

Those working in Mtu wa Mbu:
The Browns, The Hochdorfs, and the local Tanzanian brethren

Our guest Campaigners in Mtu: Callie Donaldson, Fred & Penny Cabler, Steve & Camron Wiseman, Ken Upchurch, Chuck Webster with his daughter Bailey and the Hoover, AL Group of 10.

Preaching the Mtu (aka Mosquito River) Meeting: Chuck Webster & Ken Upchurch

Mark 6:12
They went out and preached that people should repent.



Once again, we meet up at the church building to divide up into our Bible Study & Evangelism Groups to be sent out into the streets of Arusha. There are 6 teams in all, consisting of a mixture of Men and Women, both with their translators and material to pass out as teaching tools. The Missionaries go out as the Drivers, knowing the area to position the groups within walking distance to the building, in case anyone needs to return (remember that walking distance in Tanzanian may be further than what we would imagine in the states...) The groups are dispersed and sent out to work in their perspective areas with the aim of sharing the Gospel, in personal Bible Studies. So you talk to people as you pass them by hand them a track and begin talking about the church and the Bible, finding out about their lives and their families. We are Getting to know people on a personal level, and teaching them the truth in love. We give it the phrase "Door Knocking" but here in Africa you end up more stopping and talking to people by the wayside because the people are outside of their homes instead of in them, so it’s more House to House... and doorway to doorway, “The Highways and the Byways” in all the shops & fruit stands along the roads, places of business and people working on the streets of the city.

I think at times we tend to minimize the size of Arusha and even our guests upon arrival are in shock of the sheer number of bodies in movement all around them everywhere you turn here there are people. It’s an old dirty looking run down town, with worn out buildings mixed in with a few new ones, but nothing like you would imagine a grand metropolis to be... But in the small area there are millions and millions of people crammed in the city limits, in the shanties and shacks, rooms that would be fit for a wood shed at home.. that may sleep 10 to 12 people at night... When you do get back into the neighborhoods and lifestyles off the beaten path, your eyes are wide opened to what living in a third world country is all about. The poverty, the sickness, the filth, and the life on the streets that so many would rather turn a blind eye to, exists in a very real way here. The one day at a time, lifestyle that most of the people here live. To sell one stack of tomatoes, to be able to buy one stack of beans,“ kind of life”. With Unemployment rates that would baffle you... over 80 percent I believe.. But most families just grow enough to sell and trade for what they need today, because there is no security in their tomorrow! Tanzania is one of the 5 poorest Nations in the World.

Arusha is one of the major cities in the country and the central hub of the tourism routes here in Northern Tanzania, bringing in visitors from all nations to frequent the many Safari Circuits with any and all safari companies traveling through with their Visitors "called, Wazungus" So we have a preexisting status quo.. a label, a circumstance about us that the Tanzanian people see, when they see us coming... it’s the "$$$ signs looming above our heads" So for the vendors and shopkeepers, and even street thieves, it’s sometimes a target and sometimes a possible opportunity. But more times than not, most people are just people, where ever you go! Just like you and me, with the same goals and desires... for a good life for their families, safety and good health, education if possible.. and a general desire to be pleasing to God, if they have ever been taught any religion at all, can be found in most of their lives. Most Tanzanians would welcome you or any stranger into their home and share with them whatever they had... they are a very gracious and polite society as a whole, even with what very little that they have. Most families are on foot, dependant on the transport system that we call the dala dalas… which are dangerous at best. In America most families have at least one car, one TV, electricity, running water, a bathroom if not two or three in their homes, and at least a public education offered to their children and in most homes everyone has their own Bible if not numerous Bibles. Here in Tanzania, most families know someone who has a bike in their neighborhood that they can borrow, they know where the nearest public electric outlet is if they need to use something with a plug, know where the local shared water faucet is to haul home their water, most have to walk to the neast community Choo (outhouse like hole in the ground) and most have to seek help to pay school fees, because the public education is worse than any in the world. Then, if there is a Bible in the home, the Husband carries it, and if it’s an Islamic home.. the Bible is forbidden to even be opened or cross the threshold with threats of being beaten. I’ve actually had a teenager once stop me and just want to sit and read my Bible while she was away from her home, and she read and read and read…. As long as she could before having to return, in fear of being caught by her family, for wanting to know the Gospel. It’s a whole different world! And we should all count our many blessings!

Mark 13:10
And the gospel must first be preached to all nations.



Our goal, is always to reach one more, to teach just one more... To do all that we can in the time that God has blessed us with to bring glory and honor to him with our lives! After our groups have finished covering their areas or run out of time... whatever their driver has designated for the day, they all pile back in the vehicles and head for the church building, where the women of the church have prepared a delicious meal of Beans & Rice, sometimes with a little greens or fruit on the side.. No silverware to be found, but they are all pretty used to our American guests carrying their own utensils, and for those of us who've been here long enough to get used to it... or those who just forget to bring one... you just do as the locals do, and eat with your hands! Pinching together between your fingers clumps of rice and try to not make too big a mess! There's always a wash bucket nearby to clean up in... if you dare (once again a good idea to bring wipes or hand sanitizer) but running water is always a good thing if you see a hose available go for that! (still not safe to drink... I’ve been trying to teach Gracie that for years!)

But after a good meal, everyone heads back out to return to established studies and return to visit people that they talked to in the previous days inviting all you cross to come to the building for the evening Gospel meeting, preaching. Ralph is teaching a great series on Getting close to Christ, using a slide projector and power point lesson, so it's exciting and new for everyone! There's a time of singing and a time for questions and answers from the day. This all goes on from 4PM to 6PM and then we close in prayer and head back to the ACSOP, School out in Kisongo where most everyone is staying. But that is also where we are sharing our evening meals together.

Acts 20:20
You know that

Our Massai Friend.. helping fold tracks Our Massai Friend.. helping fold tracks Our Massai Friend.. helping fold tracks

he figured as long as he was going to hang around the building he might as well help!
I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house.

Like any parent I wanted to take a moment to talk about the kids.... Our kids. This is the kids 3rd Campaign to be a part of.. one year we were here without them, while they stayed home with Nanny in 2004, but in 2001 they were here as little babies Emily being 5, Garrett turning 4 during the campaign, and little Gracie all of 6 months old at the time tied to my back the whole way. Our kids have been amazing at hanging right with us all the way through the campaigns, and I dont think we take the time to thank them enough for all that they do. That first year, Gracie went with Mama everywhere I went, sleeping most the day away tied to my back or any of the other college girls who were in my group in walking the streets right along with the group... Emily & Garrett hung back with their Daddy at the preaching grounds and driving the groups around, then sat playing in the dirt around the tables as Brent & Howell Fergeson took in and graded Correspondence Courses.... they were so so little then, and man how the time does fly! But this year, all three kids have jumped right in there with the campaigners, folding and passing out tracks, helping the visitors with swahili from time to time, initiating conversations with people onthe street to set up studies, Emily & Garrett have been going out with some of the college kids in groups away from mom and dad, working with the rest of the group on their own, and quietly serving where they can. Sitting in and listening to the Bible studies being taught. Walking the streets all day long with a smile on their face and no complaints, just happy to be a part of what's going on, and little Gracie... if you know her at all doesnt know a stranger one... So she just loves grabbing the largest stack of tracks you can give her, and wont quit till they are all gone! Then she'll get on to the rest of us if we havent finished passing out ours, and volunteers to help! They are all three little troopers and I am so proud of the way that they have been carrying themselves and finding ways to serve!

We let Emily & Garrett go spend the night with some friends last week, a Hindu family we have known for years, with a a little girl Emily's age, and a little boy a year younger than Garrett. But I wanted to share with you something that the parents shared with me as we picked them up, that made this mama's heart sore! The kids told us all about the differences in their home and culture, the large home, the numerous servants, the foods, the Hindu traditions and dinner attire that they wear to family meals.. and then Emily told them that she and her brother needed to pray before they ate, and the whole family paused to let Garrett lead a prayer for he and his sister... then the family asked them, why they had prayed... and Emily told them that the Bible teaches you to be thankful for every blessing you recieve and to pray and give thanks for all things, that it was a blessing to have them as friends. ~ Setting a great example, even without us being there, and that just made my day!

Romans 10:14
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?



There are so many here working behind the scenes that go unmentioned, those helping wash clothes for the guests, all the translators who are here to help and allow our visitors the opportunity to preach and teach in a foreign land, we couldn’t do this without people like these… who give of themselves and also pull together to make the campaigns go so smoothly. I wanted to mention one in particular… because I love seeing young people grow up in good strong faithful homes that end up serving the Lord just as their parents have set the example before them. One of our Young teenagers, Guy Martin, Elly & Neema’s oldest son, who I can remember as a shy young boy in the years past playing with Garrett around the house, is one of my team members for the week, and to see him out evangelizing on his own as a young man, helping to interpret for people, just as his sweet father and mother have for years, is a strong testament to the continued growth of the Lord’s church here in Tanzania! It has done my heart good to watch nearby as I listen in on him teaching people the truth of God’s word… and sharing the gospel with everyone he comes across, he’s been at the front of the pack, initiating studies, talking to people on his own, and serving Christ in a mighty way this week! Letting God use his abilities and he will forever be blessed for it! I know I have been blessed, in just seeing him busy about His Father’s Business! He is a very good hearted young man, and I know God has great things in store for his life! And there are so many others I could tell you about if time and space just allowed it!

2 Timothy 4:2
Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.



Tonight is the Richardson Family's night in the kitchen! So, what do you feed 80 to 100 people in a limited amount of time and space??? When everyone's pretty tired of beans and rice... we've all been trying to come up with something new! So, we're fixing some of that good ol' Texas Chili...& Cornbread, that we're so known for, (its just one of our favorite meals) to feed the guests tonight! Big One pot meal to feed the masses! Well maybe two pots, there's not many who can stand Brent's level of heat in the chili so we have to give him a pot of his own, to tempt everyone who dares to give it a try... I will just stick to the sissy stuff! But this is one of the best parts of the day when we all meet back up together and hear the news of how everything went in both campaigns and see and visit with everyone in the same area at one time. Those of us staying here at the school, have been taking turns helping clean up the kitchen and the dishes and then getting together to enjoy a time of singing and star gazing from the roof top, to close out the amazing days in Africa!


Please continue to pray for the efforts being put forth this week, to spread the good news of Christ, to the people of Tanzania, and for the families of those who are here working; remaining back home is often times the hardest part.

Keep the work permit situation in your prayers as the Samfords and Hochdorfs are in the midst of those trials, in trying to get them secured, as we will all be facing the same situation soon enough. Ours comes due in September and we will begin the process just following the end of campaigns. They only issue permits for 2 years at a time and are not renewing any longer but forcing everyone to reapply and being very selective in who they are issuing them to. But each missionary family here will be in the same situation, as their dates arise for new permits, at the end of our initial 2 years. So, for the good of the church in East Africa, pray for this to be resolved.

We love each and every one of you and know that your prayers and encouraging words mean the world to us!
In Christian Love & Faith
Julie Richardson


Finding the Way
Searching through the deep in darkened places,
Reaching out into the many vacant spaces,
Crossing the paths of so many different cases,
I see only shadows of all the strange faces . . .

Empty walls and broken blocks in endless mountains,
Cold harsh paths and Dusty, dry, deserted fountains,
Patiently listening, bringing News, I move hoping to find those few....

Past sonless homes and leafless branching trees
Cross waveless oceans, through silent seas
Through fumbling nights that find the brightened day,
I pray and hope to find the way . . .















Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 34


Advertisement



18th June 2008

A very enlightening and insightful post. Thank you for taking time to do this along with everything else you have to do.
23rd December 2008

Committing to Jesus's Great Commission
The great commission is something all of us aught to understand and commit to it fully. May the good Lord richly bless the team in Arusha. I am very much interested in the book becoming a faithful christian. we will be starting an outreach program in the coming year in my local church. (+268 6083013)

Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 128; dbt: 0.1791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb