Tanzania - Ngoro Ngoro Crater and Arusha


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
October 18th 2007
Published: October 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey guys
it's me once again from sunny Tanzania. Three days ago, we crossed the boarder from Kenya and our first destination was the camp site 'Snake Park' near Arusha. Basically this place is only showing all kinds of snakes in big glass boxes, and a couple of crocs in a nice little lake, but the first night we were there we were greeted by a 3m black cobra which was on the lose! people said it was only the third snake to be seen in fifteen years, but that wasn't very comforting when making our way to the tents in the dark.
The next day we got picked up at about 2 o'clock from the camp. I had visited the local Masai Cattle Market which i found quite interesting, also i had to make my way to an internet point and the Masai were very helpful in showing me the way (and even more interested in selling anything from wooden zebra heads to necklaces). So, 2 o'clock and we headed in a jeep towards Ngoro Ngoro. We arrived in a posh camp at about 5 in the evening where we got a superb meal prepared for us. Unfortunately, the nicer the camp site, the dearer everything, so at 3 US Dollars for a bottle of beer i passed and spent a bit of a thirsty night. The next morning we started at about 5 so we were in the park very early, apparently the best time to spot animals. The NgoroNgoro Crater in itself is an amazing sight: its about 600 meters deep and several kilometers wide. Most of it is dry land, with the occasional little river and pools. I was told the crater was the best place to spot the big five, and I was particularly interested in the cats, but i was badly let down. We saw zebras, giraffes, wildebeest, warthogs, and lots of hippos, austriches and other big, interesting birds, but not a single cat. That was the reason i came, but there you go! You need a good bit of luck to see cats, and i wasn't. Nobody's fault, but fairly disappointing.
I was carried back to Masai Camp in Arusha yesterday, and i am using today to do some long overdue internet business. Arusha is so far the most modern african town i have seen, and there is very little hassle from people. In fact, most people so far have been very helpful and no trouble at all. Tomorrow, there is along drive ahead of me to Dar es Salaam on the Indian Ocean, and from there we head to Zanzibar, the Spice Island. I am so looking forward to that!
Love to you all, Katja

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb