Trip To Kioga, 4 Weddings, & A Quilting Class


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
December 10th 2006
Published: December 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It's been a full week here in Tanzania! Monday Night we had our goodbye dinner for Cy & Stephanie as they were departing for the states on Wednesday for their furlough trip back home for the holidays. they will be greatly misses, but we know they will enjoy seeing their families again.

Then, Wednesday, Brent was asked to come preach at the Kioga church of Christ, up the side of the mountain, where David & Paulina Bayi, and 2 of our guards, Emmanuel & Jonas, and then where old Blind man Moses lives. Brent and I have always loved this small congregation, and when we were here in 2002 they were just about 10 in number meeting together in Moses' little wooden home. Now they have a concrete building, that they have already grown out of.. and are trying to build a new building. Now, There are about 50 Christians meeting there each Sunday. Gracie made a new little friend named Sarah Bayi, David's youngest daughter, and they drug each other all around playing in the dirt and sand piles just like kids anywhere would. Brent said that watching Sarah help Gracie around and helping her up the hills was a great illustration in life for us all... in that sometimes we made need to be the one who is pulling another up the hills when we are stronger, but there will also be the times when we will be the ones who are needing to be pulled up the hills in life as well.... that's why we are here, to help and support one another through the ups and downs in this great life.

The kids are thrilled to have their Pawpaw Gary and Grandma Cindy here visiting from Texas, Cindy arrived a week ahead of my Dad, wo was doing some business in India and made his way here to see the kids, and we've had a great visit. She traveled up the very bumpy and rocky roads with us to get to Kioga on Wednesday. Cindy helped me to grade all our papers for the kids homeschooling and catch up here since we're at the end of the quarter and the 1st Semester. A big help! The kids did great and all had great report cards to show off to Pawpaw when he arrived.

4 Weddings and a Quilting class!

Then Saturday we had a great experience with the 4 weddings passing us, and delaying us, on the roadways... (long story, it's just that we see several weddings a week here through town, they marry them at one of the 4 round-a-bouts in town and then load up the wedding party and a band all packed into the back of a big truck and parade them through the streets horns a blaring and cause a little traffic back-up problem where ever they go.)

We also had out 1st Quilting class at Arusha. Shasta headed up this "sew be it" project that we have all been very excited about, and we are now teaching the ladies to piece together their first quilts to give away to the local orphanage. Emily & I both went to help Shasta in whatever way we could and learn a little ourselves as well. We also asked the ladies to bring some clothing items for the kids at another children's home/school called camp Moses. We had a very successfull day and were thrilled at the attendance and clothes brought to help the children. we had 27 ladies sewing and busy laughing and smiling... Several ladies came all the way from Moshi to join us..(about 10 I think) and we all had a great time and are learning a very valuable trade or hobby.

We picked up my Dad from the airport this morning and he will be here with us for a week, so we are taking some time to show them around Arusha and allowing them to fully experience Africa at it's best! They say that the animal migration is coming through Tanzania about this time of year and its a great time to see some animals... so on Thursday, we're going to take them out to the Crater to get a closer look! Maybe we'll see some Lions again.

A man named richard was baptized here at Arusha tonight, and added to the Lord's church with great excitment! What a glorious day it has been.

The kids took their grandparents to stiggy's, their favorite restraunt, to try out some new foods...and we had lunch there with the Gee Family this afternoon.

Tomorrow night we have the weekly devo here at our house with all the other Missionary families and we are looking forward to having a houseful.. and only wish we had Cy & Stephanie here with us.. as well as all the others who are on their way here. We are one big family here in tanzania and our only wish is that you could be here with us as well.

Hope where-ever you are, that you are having a great week and allowing God to use you and your talents to His glory!

In His Service,
Julie Richardson



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

A busy MamaA busy Mama
A busy Mama

just how many things can a mother do all at one time??
Emily Collecting ClothesEmily Collecting Clothes
Emily Collecting Clothes

we gathered up clothes from the ladies who attended the quilting class to take to the Orphanage.
So peaceful...So peaceful...
So peaceful...

Mt. Meru in the December afternoon
Working with our Friends at KiogaWorking with our Friends at Kioga
Working with our Friends at Kioga

Emmanuel, Brent, & David


11th December 2006

Thanks so much for helping at the class on Saturday!!! I definitely need to get your picks to go with the ones YOU also took on my camera that way we can both be in the pictures!! See you tonight!!
11th December 2006

quilting
Such a great work and such beautiful people. I look forward to the pictures and hearing about what has happened each week. You know I miss you all so much.

Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 123; dbt: 0.126s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb