The Sexuality Training


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
November 11th 2008
Published: March 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Very nice to be back at Kunduchi Hotel going for a swim in the morning just after sunrise and before it gets hot, wonderful. The workshop started quite alright as well, with participants from South Africa, Mozambique, Uganda, Swaziland, Lesotho, Ethiopia, Namibia and some Tanzanians from other organisations and a couple of other Femina people, it’s a very interesting mix. Our sexologist is quite different to what I had envisaged - I guess my view was slightly influenced by those dodgy 1970s soft-core films that ran on the commercial German TV channels late at night… The training is in fact very Scandinavian, approaching everything very openly, directly and matter-of-fact. Quite provoking especially considering the cultural backgrounds of most of the participants (I was the only other person there from the Northern hemisphere). The idea behind it is, to approach sexual health (and therefore HIV/AIDS) from a wider perspective including gender roles, sexual norms, concepts of sexuality, so that you look at it in the first stage without attaching your personal values. It was all very detailed, but easily understandable. A good refresher on the biology classes in my school time and with the mayor difference that our trainer also went into the pleasure part, explaining not just the anatomy, but also what can potentially be felt. He also went into a lot of other technical details, like when pregnancy can occur, how HIV works etc.

My housemate Naomi was supposed to come to the training as well, but things have been getting gradually worse at work and she is now going back to Nairobi for good next week. But have got Sara moving in with me now! Agreed on this with my office to cover the cost for the flat to some extend...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.619s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.5624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb