On the road again....


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
July 6th 2007
Published: July 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

And the wheels of the truck go round and round.....

Long travel days as we head for Dar es Salaam - the gateway to Zanzibar. The roads are very dodgy and not conducive to fast speeds. However truck drivers haven't figured that out yet and on our 1st day we passed by 6 accident sites where the trucks lay where they crashed. Tanzania seems to be a diverse country with better agricultural systems in place than previous countries travelled through. We saw plantations of tea for as far as we could see, Banana, pineapple, barley, sunflower, forestry, all in great quantity, and the list goes on. The women in the 1st village we passed through had changed from carrying water, wood on their heads to carrying huge bunches of banana or pineapple....with the baby strapped to their back of course!

We spent a night at the old farm house (yeah its in the middle of no-where), another night in the Baobab Valley before arriving in Dar. The final day's drive took us through the middle of the Mizuni National Park where we got to see more giraffe, elephant, zebra, buffalo, impala, kudu, baboon, and ground hornbill birds (which apparantly are an endangered species so we were lucky to spot 3 of them).

Dar is a massive city and the drivers are crazy and Kenny is so calm as he manouvers the truck through the chaotic streets where the road rules seem to be far and few between! I'm not big on cities anyway so I'll quote Amanda on her 1st impression..."i have a new appreciation for Auckland"....now that's saying something! We stopped long enough to organise ferry tickets to Zanzibar, buy an ice cream at the Movenpick Hotel, and get some food at the supermarket. It then took over 1 1/2hrs to drive the 20km to our campsite up the coast which was a dive (sorry there's no polite way to describe it).

Thankfully we boarded the 10.30am ferry the next day.......Leaving poor Kenny behind to safeguard the truck.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb