Tanzania day 6


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
May 21st 2007
Published: May 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

“The Maitumaini School”“The Maitumaini School”“The Maitumaini School”

This Salvation Army school for primary school students with disabilities is the only one of its type in Tanzania.
Today we went back to the Maitumaini School for disabled children to do some filming and give them some gifts we had brought over from Australia.

We learnt more about some of the children at the school. One girl, Maria, was badly burnt when her family home was struck by lightening and burst into flames. As a consequence she is now an amputee - losing one leg just above the knee and her right arm below the elbow. Her mother died in the incident, her father two years later. She is now waiting for a prosthetic limb to be made for her at the Matumaini School workshop.

Even though they are constructed in-house, prosthetic limbs are expensive costing up to 600 Australian dollars. A brace can cost up to $1,000. The school has to wait until donations are received before it can start production on artificial limbs or walking braces for the children.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DAY:

LUKE: “Seeing the kids getting their pens - they had huge smiles on their faces and seemed really surprised to be given a gift. It was great to be there.”
RICHARD: “Listening to the physiotherapist and orthopaedic specialist talk
GodlistenGodlistenGodlisten

Richard with Godlisten – one of the students at the Maitumaini School.
about the rehabilitation of the children. And I was happy it was the last day of filming in this heat!
LAUREN: “Giving the kids their gifts.”



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

In the workshopIn the workshop
In the workshop

The school’s physiotherapist shows us around the workshop where prosthetic limbs and walking aids are made for the children.


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb