Tanzania day 4


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
May 19th 2007
Published: May 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

ouch!ouch!ouch!

A concrete block on the head – ouch!
Another hot and steamy day out on the building site to shoot. The good news is that our “Mr Fix-it” fixed our equipment that had been fried in the power surge! So we no longer had to conserve camera batteries today. Still, Richard had time in between shoots to do a bit of mortar work on the building site!

The Morchimba villagers have been great. They come out to help with the building and yesterday they even cooked us up a big feed of maize, spinach and beef stew (which we had to eat with our fingers which was interesting!) It’s interesting to see here that the women do most of the hard labour. They carry these insanely heavy concrete blocks ON THEIR HEADS from the brick-pile into the building site, while the men look on! They’re also the ones carrying all the water from the well, and when we needed scaffolding for the building site, they were the ones to go and get it and carry it to us. (Plus of course the cooking, looking after the children and tending to the vegetable crop…)

The kids were also out in force today. They kept Lauren company as
A hard day's workA hard day's workA hard day's work

In between filming, Richard finds time to build a house!
she typed away on her computer inside the corps hall. The computer is fascinating to them - it may be the first one they have ever seen first-hand. Yesterday we showed them a slide-show on it of photos that we had taken of them. The squeals of delight as they saw photos of themselves on screen was priceless! Today we brought tennis balls for them and taught them how to play hand-ball against a brick wall - they loved it!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

makeshift officemakeshift office
makeshift office

Lauren’s computer fascinates the kids
tennis ballstennis balls
tennis balls

Thanks for the tennis balls Phil - it sure beats kicking around a clump of old plastic bags!
two men and a babytwo men and a baby
two men and a baby

Watch out Brooke and Jeanie, these guys are keen to adopt!


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb