Power - what power?


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
May 18th 2007
Published: May 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

candlelightcandlelightcandlelight

Life in Tanzania during power-cuts, which happen nearly every day…
This morning we discovered what life is like in Africa. It was about 6:30am and the lights in our little bungalows started to buzz and shine very brightly... all of a sudden - POOF! The power blew out the lights. I was working on my laptop at the time and just before the electricity blew I was able to pull the cord out so I managed to save my computer from being fried by the power surge. The guys weren't as lucky. They had their camera batteries charging and the whole charger just popped like a cork and went dead...

So while Richard went into town to see a Mr Fix-It, Luke and I went out to film on the building site - trying to conserve as much battery as possible just in case the charger couldn't be fixed!

It was fun playing with the local kids out there - but sad knownig that they should be in school but will probably never be able to afford to go. Seeing them play with anything - plastic bags bundled together passes for a ball around here - makes you realise just how good we've got it at home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

creek crossingscreek crossings
creek crossings

Luke films The Salvation Army troop carrier negotiating the local roads.


22nd May 2007

power surge
Hey Lauz, lucky you saved your computer. Sounds like it is going to be another unpredicatable adventure. The pictures are good. be careful!

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb