A Nice Jackal, Elephant Anger, Cape Buffalo


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
October 5th 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -23.8551, 31.5776

Driving back and forth from Letaba to Phalabowra gave us an opportunity to see some really nice large elephants. There was one that posed for us at a riverbed with some very nice palms on the banks that were an excellent backdrop to him. We stopped on the bridge and watched him for awhile before we moved on.

Another nice sighting was a black backed jackal that was on a road. We had just had a hare dash across the road in front of us and we were wondering why until we saw the jackal. Unfortunately the road he went down for was four-wheel or high clearance vehicles and we are neither so did not go.

There is a large waterhole visible from the road that we saw large herds of elephants on two occasions and a large herd of buffalo another day.

Jerry and Tom had tried to get into Satara but there was no room so they camped with us again. We went on an evening drive toward Shingdwedzi and got to see the huge herd of buffalo Tom and Jerry had run into earlier that day. There was a particularly large elephant that made a false charge at the Jerry/Tom van but just let the "cloud" drift on past. We have started calling our car "cloud" because we seem to be able to drift by most animals without them being startled.

As we were coming back from this drive the large herd of buffalo had moved out onto the road and we had to drive through them. Once again, they just turned and looked but did nothing as we came through.




Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

//Letaba to Phalabowra//Letaba to Phalabowra
//Letaba to Phalabowra

very majestic and very large tusks


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.1035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb