Three Lions From Letaba


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
October 6th 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -23.8551, 31.5776

The word Letaba means "river of sand" according to the SanParks official webpage.

Letaba is located on the banks of the Letaba river and has some beautiful trees throughout the campsite.

It is well-known for the number of elephants that are found there but it is not known for the predator species even though we personally have seen only one leopard very briefly on a previous visit.

Jerry and Tom did not have as much time in the park as we did and so they had decided they would go back to Satara to look for lions, leopards and those things "with teeth".

We bid them good bye and headed off to a early morning game drive planning to meet them again at Satara in a few days.

We decided to take the road behind the camp and headed south toward the Engelhardt Dam and Oliphants..

We had turned toward the dam and were looking in the vegetation on the side of the water when saw something move and it was a lion.

Wow! Stopped and started looking and there were three lions lying there resting and watching the impala that were feeding up and down the river.

This was a real treat for us because we had not seen one here before!



Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

mystery birdmystery bird
mystery bird

looks like raptor but not martial eagle, tawny eagle, or bateleur so what is it?


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb