Started Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
October 22nd 2016
Published: January 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Now in Cape Town. Dubai was Dubai. Did get a non tourist view of Dubai. I chose not to go to the tallest building in the world after having a fantastic lunch at the hotel I stayed at before. The bus driver took me back to the hotel. I did my counselor thing and asked him a lot of questions: like about the cost of living for the regular guy, contracts to work and where did the laborers live? Living in Dubai is real expense most workers live outside the city. All the luxury apartments are for the big wheels, when you come into Dubai to work you sign a two year contract the firest year and then three year contracts, your passport is taken and if you decide you don't like it you have to pay your way home, the construction workers and there are a lot of them live in labor camps outside the city. They are picked up by buses and taken to work and then brought back to the camps at night. The driver showed me the camps and they look like prisons! Also had my Manila done and talked to a philipine woman who has been in Dubai for 23 years who has 2 teenagers back home being cared for by her 79 year old father. She said it was easier to work in Dubai as no visa or work permit was needed. She says she is not treated that well by her boss who favors the Russians girls and gives them more privileges. She gets to go home once a year to see her kids. The guide we had for the trip spent the whole time bragging abou Dubai like he was apart of the elite. This time saw a lot of high end cars..

In South Africa hotel is lovely but the all usually are. I am still suffering with this cold.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1002s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb