Mami Wata


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
October 31st 2013
Published: October 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Mami Wata is one of the many African-born religions that praises this spirit known as Mami Wata. Her followers describe her as being this gorgeous lady with real long hair that is always with this large snake. This religion originated in Southern, Western and Central Africa in the early 1800s, and than were also taken to the Caribbean Islands.

Mami Wata was created dual to its natures of its good and evil. She had the duty for providing communication, food, drinks, trading, and transpiration. Moreover, she had the power to drown people, cause floods in fields or villages, and providing a passage for intruders. She was Also this Goddess that many believed she had this mermaid body that may have originated from the Europeans. She was able to abduct people while swimming or boating on the water, and she was able to give them beauty, an easy life, good luck, and material wealth. However, she can also takes these things away. Followers pray to this Goddess and temples began forming in the mid 1900s. Many people also held ceremonies to praise Mami Wata to enhance their spiritual path and increase their personal and business prospect. This spirit protected, or to some, limited the privileges of a woman. For instance, she prohibited sexual relations during a woman's period, and letting women cook for their husband. Today, Mami Wata a few thousand followers.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb