Day 191 - Into Namibia


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
January 9th 2007
Published: January 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Whilst the more energetic members of the group spent a couple of hours canoeing down the river, we relaxed and didn't leave our camp. After lunch we crossed the border and entered Namibia and it took a lot longer than it should have done. The border guards were being officious if we're generous, but more likely they were just enjoying one of the trappings of their position of power - the ability to make people wait. Still, we'll no doubt come across worse before long. We've only had 1 intimidating border crossing so far and that was way back in Guatemala, but boring ones can be just as bad really, especially when it's as hot as it is here.

We got to our campsite after a few hours of mostly dirt road driving and had a quick turnaround of putting up tents before we headed off to Fish River Canyon. This is the world's second biggest canyon (after the impossible to overhype Grand Canyon) and we were here for a walk along the rim before sunset. It's 15 miles wide in places and over 500m deep, and is actually 2 canyons in one - tectonic activity formed the first and then the Fish River flowed through this canyon forming another deeper one at the bottom. For some reason we'd decided earlier in the day not to buy any alcohol, so as everyone else opened their beers we were left unimpressed with our Diet Cokes.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 102; dbt: 0.1184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb