From Cape Town to home...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
March 24th 2021
Published: April 29th 2021
Edit Blog Post

I have to admit, I wasn't sure if it would be one or two blogs for the few days from Cape Town to home. Simple reality...this was the end of March. We are the end of April...and very soon is our next flight...and I'd rather put everything of the last trip in a single blog...before heading for the next serious adventure.



You remember, 2020 and 2021 we are all stuck at home and life is a nightmare. We are writing blogs about our past travels....because this is the way it is. Well....not really from our side. Never would have I thought that even if the scope is limited...2020 and 2021 are actually full of discoveries...and there is way more to come!



So let's go back to Cape Town to home....it's a good 1750kms if you do it in a straight line....but straight lines are none of my stuff! So this blog is all about freedom....wine, some golf...some great food...and even some great wildlife! We've done this over 5 times now...and still every morning is a new adventure....and I could do it 5 more times...I would still discover few new places...and enjoy some great old places ....where it's all about people, experience...and some food/wine/golf!



The good news is that we have the place for ourselves...so yes, great trips in South Africa are pretty cheap. The Covid count has also dropped at less than 1500 new infections per day...and less that 100 deaths per day. Kind of weird to see that South Africa today is compared to Brazil or India...when here, there is for the moment ample space in hospitals and everything is open. We live a nearly normal life if it was for wearing a mask in public. 0.4% of the population has been vaccinated so far...so we know one thing for sure...Covid will be with us for the long run in South Africa!



We left the wine region with over 60 bottles in the trunk. Some of them are super rare finds. Yes, as tourists have left...this means it is possible with some solid hunt to find bottles that would be impossible to get in normal times! This time, not only did we stay in Stellenbosch...but we also did one night in Franschhoek. We'll come back to Franschhoek for the wine...but keep our accomodation in Stellie!



Food wise...well, here too you don't have to book anything anymore. Delaire Graff for lunch....we love this place! We also found a new dig in Port Elizabeth!



Golf wise, play few rounds and handicap is going down. On the program this time, Pearl Valley, De Zalze, Arabella, Pinnacle Point, Pezula, Knysna,St Francis Bay, Humewood and finally Royal Port Alfred. This is indeed some solid golf on the way!



We also spent a full day in Addo. One more time, we have the place nearly for ourselves. As we come here nearly every year, it's just about trying to see something different each time...but elephants is still the highlight here!



Weather was amazing nearly all the way...we just had rain the last day on the road while driving through the Transkaii. So here it was...a superb march trip. 20 days...5300kms...we have now been to every single corner of this country since we came back in early October. Next entry coming soon....another South Africa little side that...in the making for the moment.



Hope you all stay safe...and even if the world is not ready to re-open, it looks like 2022 could be opening a new era, let's hope for the better!


Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb