En route Stellenbosch...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
July 12th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Big Easy RestaurantBig Easy RestaurantBig Easy Restaurant

Multi-roomed establishment. This is one of the bars.
Geo: -33.9385, 18.8656

Leisurely drive to Nelspruit and a nice time waiting in the airport. Good Wi-Fi and interesting shops. Bought a serious beanie in preparation for more inclement weather. We are just hoping for enough good weather to do a helicopter ride that has been recommended to us.

Just over 100 pax on the Avro RJ85 aircraft to Cape Town. Robyn and a lady from Houston are talking up a storm; Robyn mostly.

Smooth transfer at the Cape Town airport to the 30 minute drive by private car to the picturesque university town of Stellenbosch. Checking in to the River Manor Boutique Hotel we upgraded to the posh room overlooking the small park across the road, very nice.

A short walk into the town centre, past olde worlde Dutch architecture and well maintained buildings and streets. Stellenbosch was apparently one of the oldest settlements and it has retained its air of privilege. Dinner at Ernie Els's Big Easy Restaurant on Dorp St, a huge old house converted to a multi-roomed restaurant and bar. Good atmosphere, service and food and also inexpensive. All sorts of Els golfing memorabilia adorning the walls, as you'd expect.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Big Easy againBig Easy again
Big Easy again

The cellar dining room with outside area.
River Manor 5River Manor 5
River Manor 5

Comfortable and warm, with in room wi-fi.
Fine Stellenbosch buildingFine Stellenbosch building
Fine Stellenbosch building

In earlier days this was a government building. Now it houses a university department.


13th July 2014

Crickey! Wot a size. Love the olde worlde and certainly space is not compromised.

Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb