Swaziland Day Trip


Advertisement
Swaziland's flag
Africa » Swaziland
July 11th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Swaziland borderSwaziland borderSwaziland border

This is Maphopo, one of the chief's 25 children. He is an accomplished singer and dancer and has performed in many European cities. A shy, retiring type.
Geo: -26.3093, 31.1477

We left at 7am for the 45 minute drive to the Kingdom of Swaziland. Picked up a young Dutch couple and our guide Nick (another Marloth Park lodge owner/operator) gave us a good running commentary along the trip.

At the border (passports needed) we saw a traditional village and got an explanation of village life. Then many of the chief's 25 children gave an exhibition of singing and dancing that was quite stirring. A stop at a local crafts village (weaving, mainly), across the Maguga Dam then another tourist stop based on a glassworks. A candle factory and lunch at Malkerns.

The Kingdom's main agriculture is timber, with extensive eucalypt and pine plantations. Added to the other tropical fruits grown in this non-tropical area(?), Swaziland also has large pineapple farms.

We've been told a couple of times now that this is the coldest winter in ten or more years. July/August is the best time to view the animals, because the vegetation is sparse. There is also an RCI lodge (Jackalberry Ridge) in Marloth Park, where Worldmark owners can use their accommodation points.

We're off tomorrow to Nelspruit then to Cape Town. Two days in the wine country at Stellenbosch, followed by five days
Village lifeVillage lifeVillage life

The construction was quite robust with each hut taking about six weeks to build.
in Cape Town. Apparently it snowed in Cape Town yesterday, for the first time in ages. Hmmm...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Song and danceSong and dance
Song and dance

Strong voices that could stay in key and vigorous dancing.


13th July 2014

Enjoying the pics and notes of interest. Villages with happy kids with nothing but their name, can be so heartwarming and humbling and their singing is beautiful.

Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb