PE, J-Bay and Stellenbosch


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
May 5th 2007
Published: May 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

PE , J-Bay , Stellenbosch


The Wine RegionThe Wine RegionThe Wine Region

Around Stellenbosch. Nice landscape , lots of grapes.

PE , J-Bay , Stellenbosch
John and Claire Wood
We didn't stay in PE long, now this was not because we had a note from our mum, but because PE is the nickname for a place called Port Elizebeth. It didn't appeal to us so we arrived at 10:30 PM and left the following day at 7:30 on the BAz BUs. Truth be told it actually looked ok.

It's quickly become obvious that we just don't have enough time here. The place is massive with loads of places to visit with an infinate amount of things to do. You need at least 6 weeks to scratch the surface and ideally three months to get stuck in. We have only three and a half weeks which is still a good holida time but not enough for South Africa.

Our next stop was a place called Jeffrereys Bay or J-Bay as it is known. It is famous for two things Surfing and Shopping (for surf cloths and equipment), so actually its really only famous for one thing.

Stayed a J-Bay backpackers which was really nice and chilled, after the madness of the Coffee Shack this was a relief.

After having now had two full surf lessions since
GorgeGorgeGorge

The site of the Worlds tallest Bungi. No we didn't have time to have a go. It's 216 m high.
I left home I decided to dispence with supervison and just hire a board and brave the waves on the local Dolphin Beach. The main surf beach round here is world famous and is called Supertubes (yes that's really what its called) but having a go on there would be suicidal, like skiing a black run on your first day.

It still got a bit messy out there and having hired a board that was too small it was evan harder than before. After swallowing a gallen of water via my nose and taking a board in the hip, the head and most painfully the ear! I gave it up as a bad job. . . . . .waste of time that surfing (grumble , mutter) etc. etc. Another Girl from the hostel had to have stitches so I guess it could have been worse. Think the waves were just too big or I'm too small or surfings too hard, one or the other.

J-bay is also home to a load of surf factory shops where you can buy things to preted your a surfer without actally being one!! We went to a few of these, actually all
SunsetSunsetSunset

Another one , can't resist. Good Innit?
them, and Mr Visa treated us to a few things only because its about 10 - 20% of the price that the stuff would cost you in England. The Billabong one is actually the only one worth going to where you can get a womens / mens top for 2 / 4 quid.

Met a few people whom we had met in Coffee Bay and went out for a local beer and then our two nights were up and it was time to move on.

Next up was Stellenbosch, this place is a long way from J-Bay and we had to spend all day on a bus (again) , we travelled down the so called Garden Route which was very very green and hilly with lots of beautiful places that we couldn't stop in (Doh) Mossel bay looked particularly good.

Stellenbosch is right in the heart of the Southern wine region and thats why we were there. We did a wine tour, this involves being driven around with lots of other people tasting wine and cheese. Not really into wine that much but you don't need to be as it all tastes the same after about 20
Attempted Surfing!Attempted Surfing!Attempted Surfing!

Hanging on is a better description.
minutes unless your completely and hopelessly pretentious. Either way you all get completely and hopelessly merry. Some of the Vinyards are also really impressive and its a very nice part of the world with valleys, forests and table mountain visiable in the distance.

We won a free bottle of Rose as Claire guessed the exact age of the tree in the first Winery we went to. Must be due to the new surname.

Next day we roamed around Stellenbosch which is a really nice University town , with zillions of restaurants, shops and leafy avenues. Seems fairly safe for a South African town too, a nice place to live.

Thats all , next and final stop is Cape Town!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

HouseHouse
House

Nelson Mandelas House.


11th May 2007

John, I thought you'd be a natural surfer! Next time you go off for a year, you can plan to stay in SA longer. Loking forward to having you both back home, and seeing you earning a living! love to you both. dad

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 80; dbt: 0.1134s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb