Tipsy in the Stellenbosch


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
March 27th 2007
Published: March 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Picking on the MariannePicking on the MariannePicking on the Marianne

They are picking a late crop Cabernet Sauvignon
We did manage to get up early for a walk and left the room at 7.15am. It’s another beautiful morning and after a quick chat with Frank (our French host) we head off into the wine farm. This area of the Stellenbosch reminds me of Tuscany with soft early morning light rolling over the floating hills. Our aim is to build up an appetite so we point ourselves towards the highest part of the farm. On the way we come across the pickers collecting a late harvest of Cabernet Sauvignon. I must say the grapes looked well past their best, quite shriveled and small. However, after chatting with one of the farmers he told us this was intentional and was to get the highest level of sugar from the grape and as a consequence a fuller alcohol content and therefore better fermentation which provides for a superior flavour. We watched the tractor get loaded and sent back to the farm where the grapes are hand selected and processed.

We walked for about an hour until the sun was high and strong (at about 9.30) than quickly showered and traveled to breakfast 1km down the road at the Delvera Estate.
Spider on the walkSpider on the walkSpider on the walk

Captured within the vines in the early morning sun!
We had a lovely full English breakfast withfreashly squeezed orange juice in thedelightful garden. For anybody active this is the place to gp for hiring Mountain bikes, Quad bikes or simply hiking in the Stellenbosch.

We then headed for Stellenbosch and an internet café called Java where we checked email and any comments on the blog. We then drove out of the Stellenbosch towards Somerset West where we visited the Vergelegen Wine Estate. Vergelegen was built using Dutch East India company slaves and represents a notorious episode of corruption and abuse of power in the cape. Built by Willem Adriaan van der Stel on illegally acquired land, the estate forms a grand Renaissance complex. Vergelegen was the only wine estate visited by the queen in 1995 and had also been visited by Bill and Hillary Clinton. After a wander around the impressive gardens with huge 300 year old trees (including ancient Royal Oaks) and a wine tasting and purchase we hit the road for JC LeRoux.

JC LeRoux about10km outside Stellenbosch produces sparkling wines and what they call Method Cap Classique (it basically naturally aspirated champagne but they can’t call it that due to trademark infringement). We tried about six varieties and walked out of their pretty plastered (1 they give good tasting servings 2 The bubbles!)

After a quick stop off to get the girls a bag of chips to soak up the alcohol we headed for our final wine estate L’Omarines, near Franshoek. After yet another tasting and purchase we visited a sculpture exhibition in the grounds of the estate. Some pretty impressive stuff but not cheap, 30,000 pounds for a large piece!

We then headed into Franshoek where we visited a chocolate shop and wine cellar and grabbed a quick beer. Boy has it been hot today over 30 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. We’re all either getting a bit burnt or tanned depending on how you look at it!

We’ve decided to have a Braai tonight at the Marianne Estate so we stop of and buy the food from the Super Spa in Stellenbosch. On the menu tonight is Steak, Ribs and Pork shops with jacket potatoes and salad (Mum I made your salad with Cauliflour, Sweetcorn & Gerkins which the girls really likes). Making a braai is an art form but after some helpful stacking tips from
Vergelegen EstateVergelegen EstateVergelegen Estate

Very cape dutch. The oldest winery on the cape I believe!
Marli the fire got going. The facilities provided by the Marianne were brilliant and after an hour we started our feast (including a really cute Jack Russell who was patiently waiting for scraps).

With belly’s full of food and a couple bottles of wine we retired to bed.

Ta Ta for now M & K



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb