Route 62 to Oudshoorn


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Oudtshoorn
March 28th 2007
Published: March 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ronnies!Ronnies!Ronnies!

Not a sex shop but a bar on R62! How bizarre!
Today we are traveling to Oudshoorn about 400km east from the Stellenbosch along the R62 (SA equivalent of route 66 in the US).

After saying an early farewell to Marli we packed and got ready to go. Before we left however we had arranged a cellar tour and tasting of the wines from the Marianne Estate. It’s weird but in the last 2 days we have driven about 200km and visited 8 wine farms but the best wine we tasted was from the farm we were staying on. Hasten to say we bought 12 bottles! In total we bought 62 bottles of wine which we ware shipping back to the UK (N.B Dad keep your hands off!). We then hit the road to Stellenbosch (in our newly acquired hire car) where Kirsten wanted to winder round for an hour or so while I sat in the Java Café updating my diary.

PANIC STATIONS!
WHERE ARE THE CAR KEYS!
I CAN’T FIND THEM ANYWHERE!
HAVE THEY BEEN STOLEN!
WE’VE ONLY HAD THE CAR 2 HOURS!

Kirsten arrives and also starts to panic!OK re-trace steps!

I leave Kirsten in the café while I try to locate the keys. 30 Mins later I arrive having found the keys at the bank! Thank fxxk for that!

We hit the road for Oudshoorn and travel along the N1 to Worcester and turn off to join the R62 to Montague.I can’t get over the remoteness of the drive!We follow the N62 for 250km and probably only pass 30 cars! This place is vast and I certainly would not want to break down! In total it takes us 5 hours along a wonderful route of flat barren valleys and steep mountain passes.

Arriving at Mooiplass guest house we quickly unpacked and headed out for the evening. We ate at Kalinkas where I had Kudu (a type of antelope) meatballs to start and Kudu Fillet for main. Kirsten had the beef fillet and we both enjoyed it! I think we’ve both been a bit tired today, we’ve done so much in the last 10 days, and we’ve both been a bit grumpy. We are going to chill out a bit tomorrow and re-charge before heading for Hermanus on Friday.

Ta Ta for now M & K


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb