Four Passes Tour and Prince Albert


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Prince Albert
October 21st 2007
Published: November 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Following the Cango Caves we headed ...

5. to Prince Albert via the Swartberg Pass. We passed over the mountains using this gravel pass. On one side there were fantastic views across the fields and villages, and once over the top, the other side, was a magnificent mountain pass, with beautiful scenery. It is a wonder how on earth it was cut into the mountains - apparently it took a convict labour gang seven years in 1888.

6. Lunch at Prince Albert was special - Victoria Tea Rooms, in a quaint and very quiet, sleepy village, we were the only people about, apparently it was siesta time - well it was 36 degrees I suppose! It was definately worth detouring to stop here!

7. Doubling back, we travelled the Meiringspoort Pass, which was a tarred road, however, still incredibly striking, with sandstone cliffs, with deep reds and orange rock. We didn't have a chance to stop as we were running quickly out of petrol and the guys were getting worried. Particularly as many of the villages round here, were never gonna have a gas station! We made it to De Rust - phew and topped up the car!
Victoria Tea RoomsVictoria Tea RoomsVictoria Tea Rooms

at Prince Albert


8. Wrapped back round to Oudtshoorn and then took the main road to George and along the Garden Route to Knysna.

A long day but a very good one!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Swartberg PassSwartberg Pass
Swartberg Pass

At the top with the hire car ... well Adam likes his cars!


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb