South Africa, by far the best deal for keen golfers for the moment...and yes, finally playing one more time Pezula!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Plettenberg Bay
July 13th 2015
Published: July 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

They call it the Garden Route, all the way from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town. I did this drive nearly 10 years ago missing few fun places on the way! This time, we first drive from Addo to Pletenberg in just short of three hours. We would base ourselves in Plettenberg for two nights. I went for a drink at "The Plet" hoping to get some oysters, but they were out of stock. So it would only be a nice Sauvignon Blanc. No "Plet" for us this time, we stay for our two nights in a B&B slash Backpacker with a nice kitchen. I have to admit, so far on this trip, we have raid the supermarkets for pretty amazing food. And yes, the "Plet" didn't qualify, because on this trip...I want a kitchen next to my bed...anytime I can!



Ten years ago, I play the golf course of Pezula. The place was actually made famous during the Soccer World Cup in 2012....but not for the golf! This is the place where the French Soccer team stay during their fiasco performance. Do you remember the story of the team going on strike for training and back on the bus...well, all this happened while they stay at Pezula.



The golf course was an amazing experience, and I couldn't wait to play it again...this time with Leslie. But first, we play another amazing course in Plettenberg, I name Goose Valley. That was a whopping 34 usd for Leslie and I together...for such a course, I love South Africa! We walk and carried our bags in Goose Valley, but for Pezula, the golf cart is the only way to go around, no choice!



Pezula is actually next to Knysna, gorgeous little protected lagoon city 30km away from Plettenberg. And yes, they did advertise their Oysters Festival at the local Pick N Pay supermarket...so we did stock on them!



I did remember Plettenberg as a very sleepy little town ten years ago, and interesting enough, it hasn't changed. The place look like a ghost city till you enter one of the restaurants at 7pm on a week-end night to find it is actually packed! I guess ghost town people still love a nice meal out!



Leslie has survived Pezula...and actually pretty well! And way better that I truly thought! It could have rained on the first nine holes, but it didn't...than the sky cleared and we had a beautiful sunshine, all this with amazing winds, and just 12 degrees outside. I can tell you, we are in the middle of winter here, the country is hit by a cold spell... but still, even cold, the weather is amazing...and the place beautiful.



Pezula cost me a whopping 60usd for Leslie and me, including the golf cart. Where else in the world do you get such an experience for such a price. I have travelled a little, play golf around a little. It's official! South Africa is the best deal when it comes to quality golf. South Africa is actually the best deal when it comes to play golf, regardless of the quality of the course...and always with an amazing welcome from the locals! Only downturn, some seniors from Europe are spending way too much time here, and they seems to have forgotten...that being a nice person, on a golf course, is way nicer than sticking to scrumpy old rules applied by scrumpy seniors living in grey Europe. If you have slow players with no etiquette in front of you, they are Europeans...not South Africans...for sure! Which one of them do you want my drive to land on?



Sorry if this entry lack a complete sense of interest for you! I have to admit, food, wine and golf... South Africa is doing it a pretty amazing way....and for the Great White, you'll just need to wait few days!



Next wet entry, coming pretty soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb