Tell them you cleaned up monkey poo...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Plettenberg Bay
October 6th 2010
Published: October 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Three weeks into our stint at Monkeyland.
times are good- sometimes too much spare time- the volunteer house is very basic... and as sad as it sounds, sometimes it is just nice to sit back and watch mindless (or mindful) TV. We keep ourselves busy though- or we try.
During our days- well, in the morning- we clean out the "rehab" monkey's cages...tell them you cleaned up monkey poo : says Neil!! we give them fresh water and food... the squirrel monkeys jump on your back and urinate on you, as the howler digs into the bucket you just poured poo and old food into- and pulls out something that was once hers... but honestly- this is fun. and educational. very much so.

I am hoping to start doing tours of the forest soon, taking guests through to see the monkeys that have been(for the most part) rehabilitated and are living as "wild" as they will ever be.

I have been taking photos and need to take more of our primate friends (including the staff!)...
there is Neil, a great character- only comparable to Bob in "What about Bob?"
and Bert, somewhat similar to an Indiana Jones type character... eish!! so much. More later and photos as well!!
take care..

Advertisement



Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb