Wet feet...very wet shoes...

October 15th 2010
Published: October 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It has been raining nearly nonstop for the last few days... The Crags, the sub-area of Plett Bay we are stationed in, is surrounded by mountains and dense forest- and the capture of moisture that happens here blesses us with mist and rainfall... good for the land, the forest and the animals... annoying for us.
Elisha and I went out on a whale watching boat the other day, one of the free add on perks to being here at Monkeyland... sadly she was sea sick and had to sit down the majority of the trip... I enjoyed it thoroughly, the water was gorgeous blue and the wind felt amazing against my skin. The water was full of gulls, hoping for a bite to eat, diving into the water and then coming back up, floating around and enjoying life... I took photos and video- none of it is as nice as I would hope but the motion of the boat and the crowd of annoying Belgians that apparently do not understand the concept of moving aside a bit so another person can take decent photographs- but I tried. the video is nice, even if it is full of loud bursts of wind.

I will be uploading photos soon, of our meerkats, monkeys, human neighbours & co workers, the whales...

I helped Bert repair our suspension bridge the other day... the longest in the Southern hemisphere. The rungs are from the Blue gum tree (Australian Eucalyptus) and are quite strong... but they do of course age and break. So there was a gap of around two feet that had broken out... we had no spare blue gum rods around and we had to improvise. So we used wooden planks from a bench. After sawing them down to the proper size, we went on the shaky bridge. Now this bridge hangs 20 meters (!) above the forest floor. I basically hung my upper body(over my waist) off of the bridge to twist and tie fencing wire around the bridge's support rods, connecting them to the new planks- If I fell, I would be dead. For sure. Not a pleasant thought. I was also very nervous about dropping the tools as they are pricey and it is dense bush below and would be a task to rescue them... I survived and now people can walk across the bridge again.

My family of howlers were in a cage for a week, going through worm treatment and I must say, it was very boring in the forest without them. Andy and his son, Monster, roam around following whomever and are just - well, very curious... Andy has mastered opening doors and waltzing into the curio shop. They are back out now, worm free and back to their old games. . .

more to come...
take care..


Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb