Plettenberg Bay


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Plettenberg Bay
July 19th 2008
Published: July 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

July 18, 2008

Plettenberg Bay, S.A.

Our adventures in South Africa continued today with a drive from Oudtshoorn to Plettenberg bay on the Indian Ocean coast of southern South Africa. This was an easy day on the road passing from the Ostrich farms and sheep and goat ( Mohair Goats ) farms through the mountains and back to the coast on a beautiful road through the mountain passes. We enjoyed some interesting discussions, with our very knowledgeable tour guide, about the history of South Africa and some of the trials and tribulations the people have gone through for the past few hundred years to the present times.

We passed by the beautiful little city of George that is locally known as the home of golf in South Africa. This is a nice city in the last range of mountains before you reach the coast.

We stopped in Knysna, a nice little coastal center, and took a boat trip to a nature preserve on the coast and a great walk through the coastal forest. In Knysna we also visited an oyster farm and tasted some of the local wild and farmed oysters. ( Interesting that the “Baby Oysters” are imported from Chile as there are problems here breeding the stock from eggs to the larvae stage ). Very good raw oysters and great on the patio, on a sunny winter day, with a nice glass of South African wine. ( Watch out Alice !! )

Our trip took us to an Elephant rescue center where orphaned or injured Elephants are kept and we had some close up encounters with these amazing animals and some history of the Elephant "business” in Africa.

We finished our day at Plettenberg bay at our “home” for the next 2 days, a very nice resort hotel “Emily Moon River Lodge”, in the country, but close to the city. This is another first class place. So far we have been very impressed with the facilities and the food in S.A. Not what we were expecting but then again we aren’t to sure what we were expecting.

Tomorrow we will visit some more of the Indian Ocean coast and some of the local attractions.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb