Garden Route


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Oudtshoorn
March 1st 2010
Published: March 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok time to catch up!

With our Argentinian friend in tow, Nico, we headed out on the N2 and passed the Cape Flats which is all the shanty town of Cape Town. Beautiful in its own way. Most of the houses are built from sheet metal in a variety of colors. It was funny to see that some of the houses had satellite TV... We decided to do the drive along the scenic route 62. It's an area of magnificent landscapes and towering cliffs, crystal clear streams and an abundance of trees and indigenous flora - all contribute to make Paarl, Wellington, the Breede River Valley, Klein Karoo and Langkloof some of South Africa's most diverse regions. Majestic mountains, scenic passes, rivers, vineyards and orchards, as well as the multitude of attractions, provided us with an amazing view.

On our we passed Ronnie's sex shop. Ronnie painted the name Ronnie's Shop on this cottage next to the R62, planning to open a farm stall to sell fresh veggies and fruit. His friends decided to play a prank on him by changing the name to Ronnie's Sex Shop. Ronnie kept the name and continued renovating the dilapidated building and because his friend would continually stop by a few beers, he decided to open a pub instead. Ronnie's Sex Shop has had visitors from all over the world since this time.

After we drove towards Barrydale and decided to visit the warm Waterberg springs. A hot mineral spring, surrounded by five Klein Karoo mountain ranges, it was scenic, tranquil and just what we needed after spending a week in Cape Town. After we found out the spring is resourced from radioactive springs nearby. We have yet to grow a third eye or for myself, chest hair....so all good.

After our pit stop we headed to Oudtshoorn, the Ostrich capital of SA. The next morning we headed up to the Cango Caves, to only have just missed the tour as we had quading booked for the afternoon. We headed up to TBI adventures in the mountain range and got our bikes. I am nervous at first as I had never been on a quad bike before. But after a few practice runs we were off to the races. We had a blast going through the range and ended at Rust en Verde waterfall for a swim. Scenic and spectacular and had a cold swim, just what we needed since we were covered in mud. We quaded back and then set out to do the long drive to Jeffrey's Bay, surfing mecca of SA.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



2nd March 2010

Waterfall me
What a fantastic chapter in your SA adventure. I'm blown away by the beauty of the waterfall. Again, you seem like you're the only people there. That must be nice.
5th March 2010

Yea it seems dead wherever we go...I think the recession has hit here but their will be a surge of tourism with World Cup.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb