J'bay


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Jeffreys Bay
March 1st 2010
Published: March 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

After our long and stressful drive (at night) with roads not well marked we arrive in J'bay and checked into the Backpackers here. It was umm... interesting complete stains our sheets and mosquitoes that kept us up all night. But hey we are on vacation. We got up that morning and headed to the beach and met some South Africans that challenged us to beach volleyball. After three hours, we were tired and burnt. The sun here is so much stronger than back home. Even with sunscreen on we looked like lobsters. The rest of the day we took it easy and picked up a bottle of pinotage (got to love the cheap fantastic wine here) and headed out to Supertubes to watch the real surfers for a sundowner. Unfortunately there were no surfers dolphins close to the beach. Ryan thinks there were over a hundred, playing and dancing in the ocean. That night we watched a rugby match at ''The Mexican and decided to call it an early night...that dam sun takes everything out of you.

The next day Nico had to catch the bus back to Cape Town for his flight so had to miss out on the surfing. We headed down to the main beach with Dane, a local who was going to show us the ropes. Wet suit on and our faces slathered in zinc, we set out to do some surfing. Although not as successful as when we surfed in Costa Rica, we still had a good time and after two hours we were wiped! Just enough time to have a quick shower and hit the road to Addo Elephant Park via Port Elizabeth.

Other things to note:
• Took a while to get used to driving on the other side of the road (and the round abouts) and shifting on the left side. There were a few close calls!
• Some of the people here who are jobless (or maybe chose not to get a job) take on watching your vehicles for you. Wherever you go. You have to pay them a small fee or no fee at all, but with a rental we wanted to take no chances. Dane told us last time he told them he didn't want them to watch he came back to his car being keyed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



2nd March 2010

Empty beaches
Is it me or it looks like you've got the whole beach to yourself? Do you guys feel safe in SA?
2nd March 2010

Car Watcher!
I think i just found my new calling in life Megan... Car watcher! Pluses: - get a tan - earn money - stare at cars all day minuses: - tourists who don't pay the fare and force me to key their car - living in poverty due to lack of income Awesome blog though. I'm really enjoying reading each entry, i've learned so much. Africa is even more amazing then i thought.
5th March 2010

Cory, you can't leave me to be car watcher!!!!!
6th March 2010

Driving on the wrong side of the road is freaky. Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb