Addo


Advertisement
Published: March 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Note - more pictures to be added, wireless is too slow here so check back soon!
*************************************************

After our fill of surf and sun in J'bay Ryan and I headed to Addo Park via Port Elizabeth. We decided after all of our backpacking we wanted to stay in something morel luxurious. I had booked a game drive and accommodation package through Woodall Lodge just outside Addo. Although I knew it would be nice, I really had no idea what a 5 star place would be like here as it seems star ratings vary across the world.
We pulled up to the iron gates, were let in a greeted with cold towels and had a beverage overlooking there pond on the deck while we were briefed on our 2 days ahead. So far... excellent. Next up we were shown our suite which is roughly the size of our house at home complete with our own patio, splash pool, outdoor showers and a bathroom as big as my living room! Wow...a little piece of heaven. Our car was even washed for us...I could get used to this.

We took a quick dip and got ready for our evening game drive in Addo. Our guide, who was also named Ryan was fantastic and had a lot of interesting facts to share with us. That night we saw numerous animals included kudu, the elusive caracole, springbok, tortoise, warthog, a big bull elephant and three, count them three...lions. One of the things Ryan told us is why lions have black on the back of their ears. When they are sneaking in on prey they use it as a way to communicate with their pride on how should go where for the It was almost easier to spot the animals once the sun went down as you use a light that sweeps between the bushes looking for the eyes. Our night was topped off with a gourmet three course meal back at the lodge and of course, a bottle of pinotage. I think my skin may be started to get a red tinge to it!

We were up bright and early for our 4 hour private game drive (including safari vehicle and our wonderful guide Connor). We cruised all over Addo in the hot morning and were able to get up close and personal with the elephants. Our guide told us that elephants are some of the most caring animals. Each elephant has its own unique smell and even after an elephant dies and all that is left is bone, other elephants will come by, smell their bones to remember who is was and pay their respects. Elephants have an incredible memory and can remember their way back to any water hole even if it is hundreds of kilometres away or other elephants they met years ago. We pulled up to a waterhole that had 20+ elephants, all bathing and visiting, as the water hole is a social place to meet. Also, the elephants bathe in the muddy water to cool themselves, the mud acts as an SPF 30 and when the elephants wave theirs back and forth, this cools their blood. Their own personal air conditioning system of a sort. We also learned the the elephants have a very tight family bond. All the women (mom, aunties, etc) travel together. The bulls will be included in the group until a certain age when they must go out on their own to find a mate. Often times they partner up with other bulls as there is safety in numbers and for company. And some times, a senior bull will take on a younger bull, almost like a mentorship, but only they have an emotional connection. However both the females and males convene to the water hole and if they know each and get really excited, the female elephant will pee herself. Actually it seemed all the elephants were using the watering hole for both a drink and a washroom, go figure. While at the waterhole, this was a good time to enjoy a good glass of Sauvignon Blanc eat our picnic lunch, enjoy the view and talk about the political environment in SA (more on that in a separate blog).

After our game drive we headed back to the lodge to laze by the pool awaiting our spa treatments and then finished off the evening with a 6 course meal and a glass of port to top of the night...um backpacking what????

Advertisement



5th March 2010

That's more like it
5-star my way around the world. I don't want to sound like a nouveau riche but sign me up!
6th March 2010

Elephants, 5 star, 6 course meals, spa....youre living the dream...

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb