Travelling the Garden Route


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » George
December 28th 2008
Published: December 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Cape Town we hopped on the Baz Bus (the way backpackers travel around South Africa) and went along the Garden Route to George. A very leafy green town. It is on the east coast and the place people from, Jo berg or Pretoria come for holidays. Many people have weekenders here and with such lovely coastline and lush national forests you can see why.

The first night we got here the backpackers were having a braai (pronounced bra) which is a local version of a barbeque (just don't call it that in front of them). Cooking the meat over hot coals seems to bring out more flavour and we enjoyed a yummy meal expertly cooked by Pete and listened to a two piece band playing.

Yesterday we drove down to Knysna (pronounced Nize-na) another beautiful coastal resort which is very famous for oysters...so we indulged for lunch and they are not wrong. SO fresh they were very yummy. Then we toured around the town - we tried to go on a boat cruise in the harbour but the weather conditions changed and remembering how green Kristabell turned last boat trip we decided to forgo the adventure. Dinner was at a little town called Sedgefield and we discovered espatata - a portuguese dish which is basically very garlicky meat served on a metal rod, with the juices dripping onto a plate piled with potatoes. "Meat on a Stick" - Pete was in heaven!!!! Needless to say, I doubt people are going to want to sit next to us today. I can feel the garlic seeping out through my pores. On the way home from dinner we stopped at Wilderness, another beautiful little town, for a night cap and then home to bed.

I'm having trouble attaching photos today - I'll get my technical support department onto that and hopefully be able to attach them later.

Today we are off to the ostrich farm and then flying out of George for Jo berg.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1012s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb