The Garden Route pt. II


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Garden Route
January 21st 2011
Published: January 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello.. so the the second part of the Garden Route.

Day 4 and 5- Plettenberg Bay



These days we stayed at Plet bay in a hostel called Amakaya, lovely place with the lady called Mary who loved (and more than Charlie if that is possible) Cricket!

The first day was our first encounter of rain which made Cassie very grumpy so we went to see the Monkeys and Birds of Eden to try and cheer her up. First we went to monkey land- where we saw a variety of money including a rare white gibbon and a micheal jackson monkey. We went on the longest swing bridge where they filmed Indiana Jones. Our guide repeated himself a lot, although so much so we still cant remember what he said! And as we left we managed to see the famous blue balled monkey. We then went on to see the birds of Eden, something we wernt keen on doing but it was included in the price- but how right we were to go.

They basically put a net over a large piece of forest and slowly put birds in, there was so many of different colours,shapes and sizes. Cassie was talking to one particular bird and it decided to attack- very funny!!

That night we had dinner to celebrate our anniversary, tried Calamari and liked and saw dolphins in the sea which finally made cassie smile.

The next day we went to Tenikwa- a cat sanctuary. Here we were allowed to go into cages with hand reared cats that could not be released back into the wild. It was amazinf with cheethas lying at our feet and 2 Lynxs not allowing us to get out of the cage.

That afternoon we went to Robberg Nature Reserve an 'easy walk' according to dave from the hostel. The walk consisted of running through hissing bushes (we though were smakes but later found out they were sun beetles- no need to be so scared), steep slopes of sand and cliff faces that had no path, while the sea comes in. In the middle we did think we were lost as the map made no sense to the directions in front of us and though we were going to die!!! However we got out alive and it was definately an achievement, we also saw hundreds of seals although they did stink the island out!

Day 6- Bloucranes and Storms River



So today we didnt do much, Casssie decided to do the Highest Bungy in the world at 216m, she wasnt nervous until she put her toes over the edge then there was no going back!! But it was the most amazing feeling and would do it again- but not straight away! Then we travelled onwards to Dijembe backpackers to do some river tubing the next day but not all went to plan.

Day 7- Oudtshoorn



First thing Dijembe backpackers major dissappointment. Our river tubing was cancelled because the car that took us was at wilderness and even if they found another car the keys to unlock the gate was in the stupid car. However we wernt told that it was cancelled because Dijembe had not booked us into it in the first place. NOT HAPPY!!! So we got the money back for the tubing and went to Outdshoorn a day early.

We first went to the Cango Wildlife Ranch which is where we played with the baby tigers which was soo much fun!! We were also suprised by the size of the crocodiles as they are actually HUGE!!! After tasting crocodile for lunch - kind of salty chicken - we headed to the ostrich farm where cassie enjoyed riding the ostrich showing the Germans how to stay on lol.

This time we booked into Backpackers Paradise and Joyrides which was the best place we stayed in no doubt, they gave us so much info and discount vouchers for places and was so well run. We even made some friends and played some games after our ostrich kebab brai.

Day 8 - Oudsthoorn and home



Having checked out of our accommodation we headed to Cango Caves - which was amazing! We did the adventure tour which was so worth it - climbing and crawling through small gaps like proper cave explorers lol. when we were 1.2km into the caves the humidity was 96%!a(MISSING)nd it did indeed feel like it so clammy. We had lunch there and then commenced the 6.5 hour drive back to our base near Cape Town experiencing our first traffic jam of the whole trip on the way but it only lasted 15 mins so hardly anythin really.

so thats it for that trip we will post again once we have done more stuff.

bye for now

C & C xxx

Advertisement



22nd January 2011

Ostrich riding
Did you not get ant photos of Cass riding the ostrich? All sounds very exciting apart from the cancelled river tubing.x
2nd February 2011

no but we did get a video, but takes 6 hours to upload!!! will show you when we get backxx

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb