October 19, 2010


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Franschhoek
October 19th 2010
Published: October 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Biomimicry. Who knows what it is? I sure as hell didn’t until Claire came and gave a lecture on it. The simple definition of biomimicry is the study and emulation of animals and ecosystems. There are a couple different studies right now. The most amazing to me is the study of blue whale’s fins. The study helped improve the drag on a plane by 34%. 34%!! Shark skin is another source for biomimicry because parasites and bacteria don’t stick to sharks. Actually, parasites and bacteria CAN”T. Scientists then recreated the shark skin into material that prevented dangerous bacteria from growing. Furthermore, scientists emulated shark skin to make better wet suits and aerodynamic cars. Those are just two of the trillions of animals and ecosystems we can study and emulate.

Advertisement



20th October 2010

Good Job
Good job! Love the pictures. I'm so glad that you are having a good time and learning alot of things that you would have missed here. Love
21st October 2010

We're going to school with you!
This is good information to have. New to me. Here's one for you. Maybe. Scientists are studying vultures to determine how they can devour rotten(dead) meat and not suffer stomach upset. When they're able to make that determination and apply it to humans, I think it's probably biomimicry. I read this blog before the jumping off the balcony one. No comment. Love, Mrs. C.

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb