Cape Town - Day Three


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape of Good Hope
November 19th 2019
Published: November 20th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Today, our guide Jenny picked us up early and drove us all the way around the peninsula. I’ve attached a map of the peninsula. The coastline of this area is like Yosemite but with even more fabulous mountain peaks and they are right at the ocean. There are many sandy beaches and most of the coastline is a national park and therefore has not been developed. We drove to the most southwestern point of the African continent, The Cape of Good Hope. We also rode a tram up to a lighthouse which gave us amazing views of the coastline and the vast Atlantic Ocean where we lunched there at a very nice restaurant. We saw a colony of penguins, an Ostrich farm, a huge eland (a very large antelope) and a mongoose. There are several tribes of baboons in the area but we saw not a single one. You have to be careful if you do see them, because they are very naughty and will steal your food.

We had dinner at the waterfront and dined on beef, eland (yikes, it was good but it made me sad since we saw one alive earlier in the day), springbok (another type of antelope) ostrich, and chakalaka (tomato/couscous dish). Did you know that Ostrich is a very healthy type of red meat? It was really good but again, sad to eat it because they are quite cute. It was very good though and I would consider eating it again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



28th November 2019

Cool Beaches and Spooky Food
A south facing beach...? So the sun should rise and set over the water if you get on the right beach! Strange!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb