Cape Town - Day Two


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
November 18th 2019
Published: November 18th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Robben IslandRobben IslandRobben Island

A 25-minute catamaran ride away from Cape Town
We had a lovely breakfast before Jenny picked us up at 8:15am. We walked to the waterfront and caught a catamaran that took us to Robben Island, the island that contains the prison where Nelson Mandela spent 18 years of his life in a very small cell. We toured the island in a bus and then a former prisoner took us on a walking tour of the prison. I learned a lot about Apartheid on this tour and how differently the Indians, “the coloreds” and “the blacks” were treated, with the blacks being the most badly treated. Mandela, a black, spent most of his time shoeless, in shorts, was forced to do hard labor and he slept on a thin mat on the cold concrete floor ..... for 18 years. I encourage you learn about this on your own if you’re not already up on this subject.

We had lunch upon our arrival back on the mainland and I tried my first taste of biltong, which is sort of like beef jerky. From there, Jenny drove us to Tabletop Mountain where we rode a cable car to the top and walked around the huge flat (tabletop) area. You get amazing views of Cape Town as the peak is 3000 feet above sea level.



We toured a bit more of the city on our way home. Tonight we will dine in the Hotel restaurant which features a five course pre fixe dinner with wine pairings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Bo-Kaap NeighborhoodBo-Kaap Neighborhood
Bo-Kaap Neighborhood

The brightly colored houses in this neighborhood once were slave quarters during the late 1700’s and early 1800’s


28th November 2019

Wow!
Beautiful.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb