Winter changes everything


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
May 13th 2010
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Winter is hereWinter is hereWinter is here

You can't even see Robben Island
WINTER IS HERE

Woke up at 2am, FREEZING!!!! Will have to buy some fleecy pyjamas, not traditional honeymoon attire but...

Got up at 7:30am to howling winds. Phoned Robben Island as we were meant to go there at 9am and all tours have been cancelled until at least Saturday! We were meant to be going on our shark dive tomorrow so phoned them as well and has been postponed until Sunday. Seems like there is a pattern, Tim proposed on a windy wintery day, we got married on a windy day and the start of our honeymoon is windy and wintery… Let this be a lesson to all you folk thinking about following in our footsteps, propose when it’s sunny!!!!

The hotel put on a pretty good spread for breaky, even had porridge!

Although our Robben Island tour was cancelled we still had to go to the Waterfront departure office to reschedule as the tours book out well ahead. So we are booked in again for Saturday 9am, fingers crossed 😊

Had a bit of a wander around then decided it was waaaay to cold and had done it all so decided to head back. After
Winter is hereWinter is hereWinter is here

The mountain has disappeared behind the cloud. The call this a tablecloth for the mountain.
me telling Tim to watch his umbrella with the wind so he wouldn’t break it (Singapore comes to mind) I break mine trying to fold it up because it’s so windy! Aaaarrrgh! Starting raining hard so hid in Toys r Us for a while, Tim played with the firetrucks until we gave in and decided to be pussies and catch a taxi back.

Went in search of a nonexistent shopping centre to buy the jarmies, found out just because a map says there is a shopping centre it might not be more than a hardware store and some apples and bananas on the sidewalk.

Found a Mr Price (Cape Town’s version of Best and Less) the only place that sold pyjamas! Got a lovely pair with stars on the bottoms and I Love Ewe and a picture of a sheep on the top - just the trick, honeymooners worldwide will be queuing for this number I’m sure!

One little odd thing about our hotel is that none of the rooms have fridges, so no milk, but they still have a kettle and tea and coffee, go figure…. Downstairs they have a lounge area with couches, big plasma
Mountain goneMountain goneMountain gone

Yesterday there was a great view of Table Mountain from V & A Waterfront, today gone!
and a CAPPUCCINO machine, so we planted ourselves down there for a while, left just before we both fell asleep!

Ended up having a lazy lazy lazy afternoon, I had a nap I think for the first time in the 10 years that Tim has known me, that is normally his domain!

Tim watched twenty20 cricket, I did this and that’s our day done, just dinner at the café and crossing fingers and toes for better weather tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 57; dbt: 0.2109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb