Finally - Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
May 12th 2010
Published: May 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

MORE PLANES AND AIRPORTS

Flight to Johannesburg was long but good. Managed to fall asleep before the end of Shutter Island, Big Bang Theory, Invictus, Top Gear and Two & a Half Men!

Had to do a bit of an Amazing race bolt through the airport to get our bags, go through Customs and then check in for our connecting flight to Cape Town, but made it about 10 minutes before boarding.

Funniest thing was when we found where to check in there were 2 counters staffed and one of the girls was sound asleep. She woke up long enough to realise she didn’t have to serve us and promptly went back to sleep, haha, I want her job!

Cape Town airport was kinda how I expected it. Lots of people offering to carry your bags, show you where to go etc.

Tim got a Subway at the airport, they had no ham and eventually we realized it was a Halaal Subway, don’t know if there are normal ones but to date we haven’t seen one.

A guy offered to show us to the taxi rank (so much construction going on getting ready for the
HmmmHmmmHmmm

How do they find it if it crashes? If it crashed in Uganda do they go to prison like if we wore cam pattern clothes?
World Cup it wasn’t entirely obvious to 2 tired tourists), I was dreading him asking for money, why do money changers always give you only the largest denominations possible??? But surprisingly he asked us for nothing, in fact he didn’t even stay around long enough for me to have given him anything if I could have.

Our taxi driver was really nice, has been driving airport taxi’s for over 20 years. Showed us a few things along the way and even talked about how things are still separated, for example there are still beaches that are segregated, but he didn’t seem bothered by this, in fact he thinks it’s a good thing as they have no shark attacks there but they have plenty at the white beach, he was a very funny man!

CAPE TOWN

Cape Town is so much bigger than I expected. There are whole areas where the houses are little more than tin sheds in rows. Then as you go along there are high rise apartments and hotels, there’s multimillion dollar houses that line the mountains up to about a third of the way. Quite a contrast in living conditions 

We’re staying at the Ritz Hotel (no, not the Ritz Carlton), but it’s got the only revolving restaurant in Cape Town though so makes it easy to find our way back there. They let us check in early and gave us a room on the 20th floor, the restaurant is on the 21st so they looked after us nicely there. The room is plenty big enough with a huge window, have views of the beach, the new soccer stadium and the mountains. You can even see Robben Island in the distance. It’s a relatively old hotel but all the rooms have been refurbished thanks to the World Cup.

OUT AND ABOUT

Found a nice coffee shop across from the hotel with FREE internet AND good food, so we’ll be back! Ate our lunch by the beach, heaps of people jogging, walking dogs, then there was us, flat out going nowhere!

Decided to walk to V & A Waterfront. Lots of road and footpath works going on leading up to World Cup, if it doesn’t get finished in time it will be because everyone was sleeping on the job! Some quite literally stopped what they were doing and slept where they stopped, I think Tim is looking to move here, his kind of workplace conditions!

The walk was okay, decided to let Carmen the Garmin guide us, I don’t think she was happy with us for taking shortcuts that obviously weren’t programmed in to her yet, she’ll have get over it, haha.

The Aquarium was good, big emphasis on sharks, penguins, frogs and huge fish. If I have to come back as a snapper that’s where I want to live!

Had a wander around waterfront, lots of crafty stalls and we saw a group of men singing and dancing so of course I got suckered in and now have the CD, but they were really good.

We even saw a seal in the harbor, can’t remember the last time I saw a dolphin or any other living thing in our Swan River!

Had dinner over at the Coffee shop, walked back (felt perfectly safe doing so) and was asleep by 9pm (3am Perth time though…).



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Our hotelOur hotel
Our hotel

The tallest one with the funny bit on top - that's the restuarant
Two Oceans AquariumTwo Oceans Aquarium
Two Oceans Aquarium

Happy snapper
Table MountainTable Mountain
Table Mountain

Taken from V & A Waterfront


14th May 2010

keep up the good work!
Hi Sam and Tim, keep up the good work on the blog! If they continue like the the first two it will be very entertaining for us poor folks back home, but dont forget to enjoy your holiday too!
14th May 2010

Always nice to read positive comment of my hometown Capetown! Thanks
15th May 2010

Tim Yak! Yak!
Things are so quiet here how about there Tim. had 2 hrs of silence yet? Great photos will save looking at them when you get home eh! Glad you are having a great time and remember to keep safe at all times we really do want to see you both home safe and sound. Go and enjoy lots of love from us and Trav.

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb