Table Mountain and Penguins!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
March 28th 2009
Published: March 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

3/02/09 - Tonight we were to fly to England, but there had been reports that the snow had closed some runways at Heathrow, so we made a call to the airport in the morning. Luckily, there had been no snow overnight, so the flight was still scheduled. We weren't flying out until the night, so we decided to visit Table Mountain today.

We drove to Table Mountain National Park and took the skyway to the top. It was a very impressive skyway, which revolved as we ascended, so that we had 360 degree views. We were really lucky that it was a clear day and it was just lovely on top of the mountain with lots of walking tracks and plenty of information about the mountain and its surroundings. It was a bit chilly,but thre was also a great cafe where we had some delicious hot chocolate. The views from the mountain were spectacular and we could see Robben Island and many other landmarks from there.

After Table Mountain we decided to go down south to explore some more and drove as far as Boulder's Beach in Simons Town where there is a huge penguin colony of over 2,500 penguins. Apparently they just started to turn up at the beach and today they are protected with the penguins living on the beaches and visitors walking along boardwalks so that they can admire them.

Finally we drove back to the airport ,said good-bye to South Africa and caught the plane to England for the next part of our trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

BouldersBoulders
Boulders

Penguin Paradise!


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb