Robben Island & Victoria & Albert Wharf


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
March 23rd 2009
Published: March 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Leaving the wharfLeaving the wharfLeaving the wharf

Table Mountain is in the background.
2/02/09 - Today we went to the Victoria and Albert Wharf and Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela spent much of his life as a political prisoner. After catching the ferry from the V&A Wharf we arrived at Robben Island for a short bus tour, followed by another tour through the jail conducted by an ex-prisoner. It was extremely difficult for the black prisoners as they were even given less rations than the whites. They were not allowed to communicate or get together, but found ways by sending messages in tennis balls and held secret meetings in the limestone caves at times. Here they learned things from each other and it became known as their university.

After returning to the wharf we had an enjoyable lunch and looked around for a while before walking back to our hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Limestone MinesLimestone Mines
Limestone Mines

Mandela and other prisoners worked in these mines. They were not given sunglasses to protect their eyes from the intense glare and many, including Mandela, now have eye problems.
Pile of RocksPile of Rocks
Pile of Rocks

This pile of rocks was placed there by Nelson Mandela and other fellow prisoners at a ceremony in which they were revisiting the site. It has become a symbol of the solidarity of those imprisoned on the island.


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb