The Lions of Satara: View To A Kill w Tom, Jerry


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
October 1st 2013
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.9854, 31.6018

Today was the first day the gate was to open at 5:30 a.m. Evidently the guy at the gate had not gotten the message because we were all lined up and he went walking off in the direction of reception at about 5:30. Not a problem for the man at the front of the line....he marched up to the gate, opened the gate and out we all went!

Decided to take the road toward Orpen and saw some nice elephants and rhino. Also saw many of the regulars, kudu, impala and giraffe. Some of the giraffe we saw appeared to be ready to mate and this was an interesting dance that was going on. We left them to their own devices and headed back to the camp.

Had breakfast at the restaurant and then went back to camp to see what Tom and Jerry had seen.

They had taken the road past the S100 and got to see some lions on a kill. We all rested and then went out to see where they had been that morning. The lions were still there...3 very big males.

We watched them for quite some time from our separate vehicle. Jerry had brought
Jerry  Tom rented camper van from Wicked CampersJerry  Tom rented camper van from Wicked CampersJerry Tom rented camper van from Wicked Campers

Outrageous camper van had sayings like Death by Sexy, Death Metal Eagles, etc, but was very well equipped for two people. Only problem Jerry and Tom had was that the air con did not work. We had a brand new compact Nissan Micra four door and our own tent. Only Laura could pack a small car with so much stuff !
walkie talkies so we could alert each other to game sighting. Fun.

It was not only the lions but there were some hyenas that kept coming up in hopes of getting close enough to get some of the kill.

We could also see the vultures in the trees checking and waiting for a break in the action so they too could join in.

There were some very brave jackals that got very close to the kill before they were run off by the lions.

This went on for much of the afternoon.

We were able to see the remains of the kill and in fact at one point one of the lions had picked up the rib cage and was flopping it around. Grizzly scene.

After watching them for a couple of hours, we continued on to a beautiful overlook/picnic area where you can get out of your vehicle, go to the restroom, cook your own lunch, enjoy the mountain view.

We then drove the S100 back to the camp.

We made it in the gate with a minute to spare and all declared it had been a great viewing day!



Additional photos below
Photos: 184, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



20th October 2013

National Geography
20th October 2013

I an be a monkey!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb