Elephant Goes 'Hectic,' Attacks Chases Leopard


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
June 17th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.9982, 31.5921

drive timbavati road leopard crosses road and elephant goes on a rampage

also before that the giraffe using tongue to pull down leaves to eat.

The day was overcast and windy but we decided to head down Timbavati Road to see what we could see. We really do love this road even though it seemed to be quiet that morning. We did see elephant, tawny eagle and ostrich as we were heading down the road.

We also got to see a giraffe using its tongue to reach up and pull down leaves. It was interesting to see how long the tongue was and the ability to use it to his benefit. Also got to enjoy four ground hornbill walking down the road.

Came to a traffic jam and people told us there was a leopard that had killed an impala but was not on the kill at the moment. Decided to go to the picnic area and fix breakfast. Place was a madhouse and just gathered up our food and headed back to the place where the kill was still waiting!

On our way back, a beautiful leopard crosses the road in front of us and is heading up out of the river area when all of a sudden there is an elephant up the hill in front of the leopard. The elephant picks up on the leopard and trumpets and charges toward the leopard. The leopard makes himself scarce. The elephant was not satisfied with just charging the leopard, he then runs a perimeter trumpeting and trunk and tail out signalling his displeasure with the leopard in his space.

Go back to where the kill is and tell the people that found the leopard/kill in the first place. They told us later they went back that evening at 4:50 pm and the leopard appeared.



Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Timbavati RoadTimbavati Road
Timbavati Road

Amazing tongue


Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb