Close Encounter with Another Rare Black Rhino


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
June 14th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.9895, 31.5857

black rhino browsing
gray headed parrot
black back jackal all on the way to the grocery store in Hazyview
and then
back to the waterhole where there are about 8 elephant jousting

dinner at restaurant where visit with girl that is a researcher hlre

Up and out the gate. We were going back into Hazyview to get some Vodacom data bundles since the MTN does not seem to be working very well or is extremely slow. But before we could head to Hazyview, drove down the road toward Lower Sabie. Boy, were we glad we did.

There was a car stopped and thought they were just looking at their map when looked to the right and there was a black rhino! He was right by the side of the road and was browsing on the branches beside him. You really got to see the difference in the black and white"wide" rhino in this setting. This rhino was definitely browsing on the branches and not grazing. It was so quiet you could actually hear him chewing! We saw him tear branches off the tree much like the elephant do. Guess we cannot blame the elephant for all the destruction we see!

Saw a nice gray headed parrot as we were heading into Hazyview as well as a black backed jackal.

Got to the mall and did our shopping. To get a few steps in, after each store, we would walk out to the car with our purchases and put them away and go to the next store and repeat the process. Had bought a cooked chicken and so we stopped at the picnic area at the entrance and fixed ourselves a nice chicken wrap before driving on.

Went back to the waterhole and this time there were eight elephants jousting. It was quite the scene as the day before. The elephants seemed to gang up on one elephant and double team him, sitting on his head and pushing him around until he would get free and then the next one would get the treatment.

Back to camp where we got things put away and went to the Cattle Baron for dinner. Got there early enough to enjoy the view off the deck. Visited with Kim, a researcher from Australia working in the camp. Told us a little about life as a researcher in the camp and what she was researching. Her main emphasis is the small critters. Was interesting to visit with her and some of her stories.




Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb