Double Big Five Day, Part 2: Lions Mating


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
August 25th 2015
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.9854, 31.6018

Then a couple pulls in beside us and tells us there is a leopard in a tree down near Lower Sabie. Won't have any trouble finding it because there is a huge traffic jam; in fact the traffic control police had apparently come and moved the crowd along. Told us it was on our side as we were heading toward Lower Sabie.

Finish our lunch and head on down toward the action. Sure enough, the jam is still going on. Manage to get in position to be able to see the leopard but it is not making it easy to see much less get a shot. Did take some shots and then pull into the pullout right there and take some more pictures.

Move on down the road and come across a pair of mating lions. They cross in front of our car and down into a pullout. Slow pulling in to the pullout but turns out best thing because they turn and come back toward us. So close we decide need to roll up the windows. We back up a bit and they stop right in front of our vehicle and mate and then move on!

Drive on further and there is another pair of mating lions but they are in the underbrush and it is hard to see them and so we try to see if we can get a picture but not much luck so move on. As we are driving along, there is a car stopped and the driver signals there is something to our left. Sure enough, there are sleeping male lions near the road.

Wait and see if they will get up and head to the river before we have to head back. No luck there but now must find a buffalo to complete our big five day. Thankfully they cooperated and there were some down at the edge of the river as we were heading back.

So we saw three leopard, two mating pair of lions, two sleeping lions, several rhino, elephants and the final sighting of the buffalo to bring this day to an end! Completed our day with dinner at the Cattle Baron restaurant. Word about this........the campground from about 5pm to 7pm is thick with smoke with all the braiis being started and is not a very pleasant place to be so that is as good a reason as any to enjoy sitting above the river, listening to the night sounds and enjoy a nice meal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0855s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb