The Wedding Party Arrive - Maybe


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Nelspruit
January 10th 2008
Published: February 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today was the day the first of the wedding guests would be arriving. Dave's parents, brothers and sister and a couple of friends flew into Kruger Airport in spite of the miserable wet weather.

The next guests that were due were not so lucky. Barrie and Wendy and Rory and Dean had left Durban early morning to drive up. The weather was wet and windy, really miserable which made for a grim drive, but it took a turn for the worse when Wendy hit 2 potholes hidden by the water on the road and smashed 2 tyres. They phoned to arrange a tow truck but were told that it could only take one passenger - that left 3 of them in the middle of nowhere. We drove out to pick them up expecting to see Wendy and the boys to be met by them as well as Barrie - and all their luggage. I'm not sure quite how it all fitted in, I do remember shoving it all in the back of the truck, pushing the boys in as well and then squeezing the door closed. Good job it wasn't too far. And it was still raining.

The next day 6 more guests flew into Johannesburg airport intending to catch a connecting flight to Kruger Airport to be told that the airport was closed due to bad weather. Aaron and Lynor were about to leave Jo'burg to drive down so we redirected them to the airport hoping they could drive the guests down. They set off in their 2 cars and somehow managed to meet up with their aunt and uncle as well as 4 other people they had never met, no white carnations or anything, just lots of phone calls and messages to international phones. The drive down was awful but everyone was very grateful to them as apart from missing the hen and stag night, a night in the airport was not very appealing.

The last straw was when Kshani phoned the bridesmaids to say they wouldn't be able to stay tonight even though they were booked unless they had a 4 x 4 as all the rain had made the roads impassable. Fortunately where we were staying had enough room to put them up so they joined us.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb