Lush Kruger Park end of summer visit....


Advertisement
Published: May 27th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We've just been home for few days, and it feels good. Home here is all about back to the kitchen, back to serious wine, back to home and golf rounds....but sadly, dives are a rarer occurrence lately due to the simple lack of divers visiting our little corner of paradise.



So here we are on a big road trip! The first step is the very long drive from home all the way to Kruger gate by Hazyview. We took the coastal road, and trust me, this is a long drive, easy over 10 hours in our little car. This trip is a pretty simple affair. Drive to Kruger, stay there for 5 nights just across the entry of the park. Than, there is the road to Joburg for few days staying there and slowly going to playing every single golf course of the current top 100 in the country.



I will save you from a golfing blog, but today, actually a week ago, I completed the challenge. I'm today the first foreigner who can claim he has play the top 100 golf courses in South Africa. And yes, I can claim too that South Africa is by far the best country in the world when it comes to golf. I name the number of courses, the quality, the price of green fees and even more important, the welcome you receive everywhere.



We are staying for five nights at the Protea Kruger gate. The room is pretty nice and it's a super discount if you are using Marriott points. The place is pretty nice, their food is simply not great at all. Problem is, when you stay here five nights, and it can become an issue just to eat what we love and want. We are after all in the middle of nowhere! South Africa is great for food...just not this place! Good news, we are out for most of the day each day and finding nice lunch around was never an issue. It's actually pretty fun to be in the Kruger Park...and to find not one, but few nice places to stop for lunches. Most of the time it's pretty simple affair....but one thing for sure, if you are from Europe, it's always a great deal!



Next point to note....there is no bad season to do safari if you live in South Africa. But if you want the optimum time, do prefer the winter months. July and August may be super cold in the morning, but this also means less vegetation and way better sighting of animals. March is end of the summer here...it's super lush around, making sightings way more tricky. Look at the pictures, I'm driving a low level VW Polo TSI, so not really your high point of view...till...we had some spectacular encounters!



As of today I'm not really sure where we'll be in July and August, but if we are in South Africa, we are for sure going to do one more little trip to the Kruger, and obviously, stopping for few more golfing around!



Hope you enjoy the pics of the animals! We did! Next blog...it's wine and food time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb